"The Business Eye"

anders

For my two cents (can I still contribute to this kind of thread after being in a bad mood yesterday?), I think a personality disorder helps a lot if you want to be great.  Buffett probably has OCPD.  Berry has Aspergers.

Being "great" might not be so great though, if you consider what you give up for it.

To be the umpteenth person to quote Nate: "Contentment is under-appreciated."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For my two cents (can I still contribute to this kind of thread after being in a bad mood yesterday?), I think a personality disorder helps a lot if you want to be great.  Buffett probably has OCPD.  Berry has Aspergers.

Being "great" might not be so great though, if you consider what you give up for it.

Completely agree. OCPD/Asperger's, from what I've heard, is a badge of honor of sorts in Silicon Valley. It sure does help when you're putting in the tens of thousands of hours required for mastery on activities that the general population tends to find boring (coding, accounting, reading 10-k's, etc.).

Not all people feel the obligation to allocate a significant chunk of time for family. I don't mean to play psychologist, but I doubt Warren regrets not spending more time playing catch with his kids, since according to every source out there, his idea of ultimate bliss is working through a mountain of financial statements.

You have to play in the real world, & if the game gets rough - dish out as much as you receive. Then, if you like the game; make the decision to study it, & beat the hell out of everyone else!

Everyone gets tired studying; that's normal. Its when you go back to the game, & find out if you actually studied anything useful! Take some time out, & come back with a list of what you want answered when you come back to studying. And answered TODAY, because we are all getting older!

Then keep in mind that there are thousands of extremely good business people out there who will never get the chance to take their skills further, purely because of their circumstance. Imagine what could happen if you took that drug dealer outside, taught them marketing, & then had them sell tech or beer.

SD