Taxes on performance fee in POA account

Guest deepValue

Guest deepValue

Say I were to charge a performance fee for managing a friend's account (I'd have power of attorney). My friend is not an accredited investor. I believe charging a performance fee is not technically allowed in this case, but if I were to charge one anyway, do you think the IRS would notice if my friend pays all of the tax -- including the tax due on my portion of the gains? Would I be in big trouble if I were to be audited? Is there a better way to do this?

Btw, we're both in the same income tax bracket.

Say I were to charge a performance fee for managing a friend's account (I'd have power of attorney). My friend is not an accredited investor. I believe charging a performance fee is not technically allowed in this case, but if I were to charge one anyway, do you think the IRS would notice if my friend pays all of the tax -- including the tax due on my portion of the gains? Would I be in big trouble if I were to be audited? Is there a better way to do this?

Btw, we're both in the same income tax bracket.

Be aware of possible securities law violations.

Guest deepValue

Can you manage his account free of charge and then have him "gift" you the money tax-free?

I'd be willing to do this even though it violates the spirit of the law, but unfortunately the "gift" will not be tax free; my friend will pay taxes on the capital gains and again on the gift (the fee will likely exceed the annual exclusion limit).

I might just try to find a way to technically manage money for her parents, who are accredited investors, while really managing her money.

EDIT: then again, I could just make her eat the tax. It's not that much by comparison.

How about within a limited partnership? You're the general partner (not an investment advisor) and she's a limited partner. Any law against the partnership having a performance fee structure when it has non-accredited partners?

Guest deepValue

How about within a limited partnership? You're the general partner (not an investment advisor) and she's a limited partner. Any law against the partnership having a performance fee structure when it has non-accredited partners?

That's an investment company, subject to the various Acts. There are lots of 'protections' put in place for non-accredited investors that make charging a performance fee impossible (as far as I know) unless you have accredited investors as well. Somehow those protections don't prevent the steady stream of American Greed episodes on CNBC.

If working part time, consider forgoing carried interest - that's a high price to help run a friend's portfolio.

If working full time towards establishing a business, eat the cost to have a securities lawyer help in structuring a formal partnership - it's not only good for your investors but you as well. Handshake deals are nice, but when things get rough it's best to have a written understanding of your professional role and terms.