Article on Adapting Old-Style Phone Wires for Superfast Internet

LongHaul

Ya but this sounds like literally the last 10 meters from the pole to your house. And you need equipment on every pole which costs capital. How much will it cost for the telcos to get that kind of broadband to that last pole? A lot I would think.

Ya but this sounds like literally the last 10 meters from the pole to your house. And you need equipment on every pole which costs capital. How much will it cost for the telcos to get that kind of broadband to that last pole? A lot I would think.

That's the hardest part to connect.  It's easy to restring fiber, it's connecting to homes that's the problem. 

In my area we have FIOS, so I have fiber straight into the house.  They used a wire hanging from the air, but when I signed up in 2005 they said they might need to dig a trench to run it, which I was fine with for the speeds they said they'd give me.

Apparently co-axial cables will still be more cost effective?  From the node to the home, you have a choice of:

-telephone wire

-cable (coaxial)

-fibre

-Other (power line, wireless, etc.)

By the time Alcatel Lucent rolls out its product, there may be a coaxial product that is just as fast if not faster.

2- Check out Netflix's ranking of ISP speeds:

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

Fibre holds the #1 spot, followed by cable.  Verizon Fios is at #6.