Now, thats alignment with shareholders

Guest valueInv

thats what im saying. cook's style is too laid back. he's a good operator, terrible promotor.

i agree you dont want to sling mud, but there is so much he could say in positive terms to support the company's image. maybe talk more about apple's superior profitshare/marketshare ratio, pricing power that has stayed consistent despite android gains, be more forceful in how apple has a grand vision in tv (he mentioned it as if it were a side comment at the last allthingsd conf).

i think the mistake introverts like him make is having this attitude that "if we do a good job, market will reward us" and not taking PR seriously. perception can create reality, esp in a consumer biz like apple.. im astonished how even apple fans i know think apple has "lost it" 

again, buybacks are good, but at 15% over 2.5 years its not so overwhelming that you can afford to shirk your PR duties.

not mutually exclusive. theres PLENTY of things cook can say to defend apple w/o spilling secrets. like smack down eric schmidt's comment on how android will win because of its dominant marketshare. jobs would clearly be on the attack, calling android things like grand theft android. cook, nothing.

buybacks: 15% outstanding over 2.5 years is not reason to let stock crash and not worry about it

A great CEO not only runs the biz effectively but manages the co's story effectively. Cook hasn't been doing well at the latter. He needs to come out of his shell and be more aggressive.

Even Buffett does his part by running annual shareholders meeting and granting plenty of interviews to the media.

Apple many reasons to be secretive, they have a different business environment. I welcome the stock price being low as long as they are buying back. Cooks silence is likely to benefit long term shareholders more than noise.

Try to get Buffet to talk about IV.

Raking mud at a competitor is not always good marketing, especially when you have a premium position. You end up giving them free publicity.

Plus, it's not Cooks style. Just like Buffet rarely speaks ill of anyone.

thats what im saying. cook's style is too laid back. he's a good operator, terrible promotor.

i agree you dont want to sling mud, but there is so much he could say in positive terms to support the company's image. maybe talk more about apple's superior profitshare/marketshare ratio, pricing power that has stayed consistent despite android gains, be more forceful in how apple has a grand vision in tv (he mentioned it as if it were a side comment at the last allthingsd conf).

i think the mistake introverts like him make is having this attitude that "if we do a good job, market will reward us" and not taking PR seriously. perception can create reality, esp in a consumer biz like apple.. im astonished how even apple fans i know think apple has "lost it" 

again, buybacks are good, but at 15% over 2.5 years its not so overwhelming that you can afford to shirk your PR duties.

I'm going to disagree. If you think he needs to "talk up" to the investing public in order to move the stock price to what you think is a more appropriate multiple, that to me sounds like you either are looking for a short-term trading opportunity or you're not confident in the business model to consistently generate profits. In either case, why are you investing? 

MIght have to buy more if it drops below 400.

Timmy raise the dividend plz.

Wouldn't you think buybacks would be more valuable at these multiples?

I don't have anything to back this up, but I think a strong dividend will give Apple a natural shareholder base with value/income oriented investors, whereas if they just keep buying back stock, growth investors have already deserted them, and value investors may not embrace it either. I also suspect that with companies that face a really "uncertain" future, people would want the cash in hand....IMO.

Guest valueInv

I don't have anything to back this up, but I think a strong dividend will give Apple a natural shareholder base with value/income oriented investors, whereas if they just keep buying back stock, growth investors have already deserted them, and value investors may not embrace it either. I also suspect that with companies that face a really "uncertain" future, people would want the cash in hand....IMO.

Thats weak, dude

Guest valueInv

not mutually exclusive. theres PLENTY of things cook can say to defend apple w/o spilling secrets. like smack down eric schmidt's comment on how android will win because of its dominant marketshare. jobs would clearly be on the attack, calling android things like grand theft android. cook, nothing.

buybacks: 15% outstanding over 2.5 years is not reason to let stock crash and not worry about it

A great CEO not only runs the biz effectively but manages the co's story effectively. Cook hasn't been doing well at the latter. He needs to come out of his shell and be more aggressive.

Even Buffett does his part by running annual shareholders meeting and granting plenty of interviews to the media.

Apple many reasons to be secretive, they have a different business environment. I welcome the stock price being low as long as they are buying back. Cooks silence is likely to benefit long term shareholders more than noise.

Try to get Buffet to talk about IV.

Raking mud at a competitor is not always good marketing, especially when you have a premium position. You end up giving them free publicity.

Plus, it's not Cooks style. Just like Buffet rarely speaks ill of anyone.

PR is different from pandering to Wall Street. Apple takes PR seriously and they have lunched a major PR approach. Cook has not ben quiet. He has just recently sent a strong, clear message. Just not to Wall Street.

The reason Apple out performs is because they do things differently. If they did the same things everyone else did, they would get the same results.

In the meantime, I am happily buying.  :)

I'm less concerned about Cook's message to Wall Street, than I am to his employees.  If there is discontent or low morale, then the leader needs to step up and improve it. 

Outside of the dividend and share buyback, I'm quite disappointed with what I've seen from Apple.  No great new products, watching competitors strengthen their brand and product line, negative morale with employees, lack luster product events...September better be a show-stopper!  Cheers!

Guest valueInv

I'm less concerned about Cook's message to Wall Street, than I am to his employees.  If there is discontent or low morale, then the leader needs to step up and improve it. 

Outside of the dividend and share buyback, I'm quite disappointed with what I've seen from Apple.  No great new products, watching competitors strengthen their brand and product line, negative morale with employees, lack luster product events...September better be a show-stopper!  Cheers!

The just announced the biggest redesign of their flagship product. They just did a campaign sending a clear message to their employees and the market about who they are. And now most people are excited about iOS again.

Oh, on the competitors strengthening part - take a look at S4 sales estimates.

Be careful what you trust on the Internet ;)

i disagree re: morale but i agree that from the general public's POV apple is like a mad genius who has gone into hiding and we have no idea what he's up to. sept better be good.

Guest valueInv

i disagree re: morale but i agree that from the general public's POV apple is like a mad genius who has gone into hiding and we have no idea what he's up to. sept better be good.

How do you know that Sept is when they are planning their big announcements and not Dec or March?

tim cook on q2 call. if they delay new products till after holidays, they have to be the dumbest management team ever.

How do you know that Sept is when they are planning their big announcements and not Dec or March?

Guest wellmont

roger mcnamee was on bloomberg recently and he thinks apple is too "boring" and predicatable and faced with the innovators dilemma. i am paraphrasing.

cory is somewhat skeptical of this change it appears.

Cory Johnson ‏@CoryTV 12m

I seriously wonder, for the first time, if $AAPL's Tim Cook failed Capitalism 101 http://bloom.bg/19mxShL

Guest valueInv

roger mcnamee was on bloomberg recently and he thinks apple is too "boring" and predicatable and faced with the innovators dilemma. i am paraphrasing.

cory is somewhat skeptical of this change it appears.

Cory Johnson ‏@CoryTV 12m

I seriously wonder, for the first time, if $AAPL's Tim Cook failed Capitalism 101 http://bloom.bg/19mxShL

If McNamee knows how to out do Apple maybe he should build the products and sell them.

Oh wait, never mind :)

Oh yeah...if all of you guys are so bearish on this stock....I dare you to short it. 8)

I'm not really bearish.  I was very bullish, but arguments on this thread have turned me into a moderate bull.  I thought its moat was very robust, nearly as strong as Google.  But now I'm thinking its moat is actually weak, since, despite there being passionate bulls on this thread who claim to know a lot about the stock, there haven't been many persuasive arguments for it having a significant competitive advantage.  So, I've mentally downgraded it from a strong moat to a weak moat.

Nevertheless, I agree with you that it would be nuts to short it.