Jump to content

Canadian securities held by americans

Recommended Posts

They will withhold 15% of the div.  When filing  US fed taxes there is a section that allows a credit for foreign taxes paid.

You dont receive the entire 15% back , but if I remember correctly there is a carry over to next yr.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can get the full amount back if have under $300 for individuals and $600 for joint filers.  If you have more than this amount, then the it is treated as a deduction.  Check with your tax advisor or the IRS for you specific case.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...