2013 Fairfax Financial Shareholder's Dinner & Ticket Information

Parsad

Hi Everyone,

Our 2013 Fairfax Financial Shareholder's Dinner is coming around the corner.  Unfortunately, the beautiful "Imperial Ballroom" was booked for 2013, so we have the Tudor Rooms, one floor above on the Mezzanine Floor.  The dinner menu will be tweaked to make it a bit better...details to follow. 

Book your tickets early, as we are limited to only 170 people this year.  We had 143 last year, so I expect this thing to be sold out pretty fast! 

2013 Fairfax Financial Shareholder's Dinner

April 10th, 2013

Fairmont Royal York

Tudor Rooms 7 & 8 - Main Mezzanine Floor

100 Front Street West

Toronto, Ontario

(416)368-2511

All proceeds, including profits from tickets sales, corporate sponsorships, advertising, auctions and donations, go to

"The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of Canada" in memory of JoAnn Butler, who was Prem Watsa's assistant for many years!

Buffet Dinner Tickets $150

No Buffet Tickets $75

Cash Bar

Buy tickets at www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca (top of right hand column)

Reception:  6:00-7:00pm

Dinner:  7:00pm-8:30pm

Speakers and Q&A:  Approximately 8:30pm on

I'll do my best to come this year. But I don't want to drive to and in Toronto...

A quick look at Google maps shows this is right next to a train station (is that Union Station?)... I guess it should be pretty easy to take the train from Ottawa into toronto, get to a hotel right next to the station, and then walk to the reception, right? Can anyone confirm that this is a possibility, or am I missing something?

What hotels are recommended near the venue and the station?

btw, I first read this:

"Buffet Dinner Tickets $150

No Buffet Tickets $75"

As this: "Buffett Dinner tickets"

And for half a second my brain was like, whoa, Warren's going to be there! Who could be foolish enough not to pay the extra 75$ to have dinner with him! ;)

edit: After a bit of digging I found that the http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/ has some rooms for about 90$/night. The Fairmount where the AGM takes place is closer to 200$/night, so not very frugal :)

I'm in!  Do I get a prize for being first?  Front row seating or something?  ;D

Thanks for organizing this Sanjeev.  It's the investing event of the year!

Best regards,

Eddie

Sorry Jack...someone else was first already...Brian.  Cheers!

I'll do my best to come this year. But I don't want to drive to and in Toronto...

A quick look at Google maps shows this is right next to a train station (is that Union Station?)... I guess it should be pretty easy to take the train from Ottawa into toronto, get to a hotel right next to the station, and then walk to the reception, right? Can anyone confirm that this is a possibility, or am I missing something?

What hotels are recommended near the venue and the station?

btw, I first read this:

"Buffet Dinner Tickets $150

No Buffet Tickets $75"

As this: "Buffett Dinner tickets"

And for half a second my brain was like, whoa, Warren's going to be there! Who could be foolish enough not to pay the extra 75$ to have dinner with him! ;)

edit: After a bit of digging I found that the http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/ has some room for about 90$/night. The Fairmount where the AGM takes place is closer to 200$/night, so not very frugal :)

Hi Liberty!  Strathcona is a very good choice for budget-conscious attendees who just need a nice, clean place to sleep, and is really close to both the Fairmont and Roy Thomson Hall where the AGM is.  The Strathcona is a boutique style hotel and I recommend it to people who don't want to stay at the Fairmont, but want something very close to all venues.  Cheers!

hi everyone... how does one go about getting a ticket for the Fairfax annual meeting? Thanks in advance.

elltel,...

actually it's very easy,...

you just show up, on Thursday morning, April 11, 2013 at 9:30 a.m., Toronto time at Roy Thomson Hall, 60 Simcoe Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

There is NO need for a ticket. But it's better to come 1 hour earlier.

In the lobby of the Roy Thomson Hall are for the Fairfax AGM some registration desks where you show them some ID card or passport,... nothing more. Or you might want to show them your proxy letter,... but that isn't necessary. You get at the desk some badge for your shirt with the name "Fairfax Financial AGM for shareholders" and that's it.

Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. - AGM Information

http://www.fairfax.ca/news/events-and-webcasts/default.aspx

Roy Thomson Hall - Toronto, ON

http://www.roythomsonhall.com/

Roy Thomson Hall @ Wikipedia.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomson_Hall

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/RoyThompsonHall.jpg/320px-RoyThompsonHall.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Toronto_Roy_Thomson_Hall_from_CN_Tower.jpg/320px-Toronto_Roy_Thomson_Hall_from_CN_Tower.jpg

------

But everybody should be aware that there are two separate events.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - at 9:30am

The "Fairfax Financial AGM"

---> at the Roy Thomson Hall

60 Simcoe Street, Toronto

This is the official annual general meeting for shareholders of Fairfax Financial. It's totally free of charge and everbody can come.

And one day before the official AGM on

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - at 6:00pm

The "Fairfax Shareholders Dinner"

---> at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel

100 Front Street West, Toronto

This is some private dinner event organized by our friendly webmaster of this board. Sanjeev founded the old "MSN Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders Board" and later created this board, the "Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax - Message Board". This dinner event is some unofficial privately hosted gathering, thus there are some costs associated (renting some hotel ballroom) -- therefore the costs of $150/ or $75 for a ticket. This event is not the official Fairfax shareholders meeting, but probably the more desired event to get to know everybody. In 2013 it will be the 8th annual dinner that started some years ago with only a handful of board members.

Fairmont Royal York Hotel @ Wikipedia.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairmont_Royal_York

-----

All the event places,... the Roy Thomson Hall and the Fairmont Royal York Hotel are only some short 5 minute walking distance away. Actually Fairfax headquarters are just behind the hotel,... the office tower facing the northern end of the Fairmont.

I'm in!  Do I get a prize for being first?  Front row seating or something?  ;D

Thanks for organizing this Sanjeev.  It's the investing event of the year!

Best regards,

Eddie

have not seen you posting on here before...but unless Eddie Willers is your actual name, I believe your user name is now at least the 3rd separate reference to Atlas Shrugged. 

hi everyone... how does one go about getting a ticket for the Fairfax annual meeting? Thanks in advance.

elltel,...

you just show up, on Thursday morning, April 11, 2013 at 9:30 a.m., Toronto time at Roy Thomson Hall, 60 Simcoe Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

In the lobby of the Roy Thomson Hall are for the Fairfax AGM some registration desks where you show them some ID card or passport,... nothing more. Or you might want to show them your proxy letter,... but that isn't necessary. You get at the desk some badge for your shirt with the name "Fairfax Financial AGM for shareholders" and that's it.

How long does the official AGM the next day usually last and what is it like? Does all the fun stuff happen at the dinner the day before and the AGM is more of the 'dry procedural business' stuff, or is the official AGM also full of goodness with presentations, Q&As, and guests making speeches and such?

A bit of an under count :-)

There's also the pre-dinner event, the Corner Capital annual meeting afterwards, and perhaps a Ben Graham Center conference ($$$) before hand.

There's also the pre-dinner event, the Corner Capital annual meeting afterwards, and perhaps a Ben Graham Center conference ($$$) before hand.

Oh, tell me more. I'm planning my trip.. Any of those open to a nobody like me?

elltel,...

How long does the official AGM the next day usually last and what is it like? Does all the fun stuff happen at the dinner the day before and the AGM is more of the 'dry procedural business' stuff, or is the official AGM also full of goodness with presentations, Q&As, and guests making speeches and such?

The dinner is less formal and we do have a whole bunch of great stuff...first you get to mingle with other investors and boardmembers...we have a great dinner...a terrific silent auction and raffle...and finally Prem comes with about 10-12 people who answer questions for the next hour and a bit.  Then usually Francis sticks around answering questions until I help him escape the throng of shareholders around him!  ;D

The AGM is more formal.  Prem runs through the AGM procedures in five-seven minutes like at Berkshire.  He then introduces the team of managers and executives.  Finally he gives shareholders a presentation for about 30-40 minutes.  After that he answers questions for an hour and a half.  Then everyone goes into the lobby area of Roy Thomson Hall for cocktails and hor d'oeurves, and you can mingle with all of the executives and managers asking questions...including Prem.  They usually have a number of booths from various associated companies/charities, and there are a bunch of freebies.  Last year they gave away to each shareholder a $25 gift card for their restaurants and $50 gift cards for the Sport Life stores!

We also hold our AGM immediately after Fairfax's at Roy Thomson Hall.  Just follow the hallway to the stairs and go down to the Pickering/Green rooms.  We have food and beverages as well.  We were pretty packed last year.  Also NormR does his pre-dinner party nearby before our dinner.  Last year Francis, Andy Bernard and Sam Chan popped by for a little while.  Cheers!

Cheers!

Yes, I forgot about George's conference.  It was sold out last year, and it is from about 9am to 5pm the day before the AGM...so it works great for Norm's gathering and our dinner.  I'll find out from George if he is doing it next year, but I can't see why he wouldn't.  Cheers!

Also NormR does his pre-dinner party nearby before our dinner.

Speaking of which, there was a request to move the pre-dinner event closer to the Royal York.  Can anyone recommend a good bar nearby for the festivities?  (I'm happy to check out a few as a little research project.  ;) )  IIRC, last year the pre-dinner went from 3pm to start of the dinner.  (A very informal/relaxing/fun affair.)  Let me know if you'd like to see it start even earlier.

We also hold our AGM immediately after Fairfax's at Roy Thomson Hall.  Just follow the hallway to the stairs and go down to the Pickering/Green rooms.  We have food and beverages as well.  We were pretty packed last year.

Thanks for the details, Sanjeev. Is the Corner Capital AGM only for investors in Corner Capital, or is it open to everybody?

elltel,...

Well,... probably both events were special in their individual ways. The shareholder dinner had a more a cozy atmosphere,... almost like some big, very big family Christmas dinner,... running almost until midnight,... until the last one would leave the Imperial Room. We came as strangers and left with many newly made friends, which we can't await to see next time. I personally felt like Sanjeev played

nice Santa Claus, introducing us to all the folks at Fairfax and Hamblin Watsa. The actual Fairfax AGM on the next day was of course at first filled with some terrific introduction by Prem, a presentation with slides and a Q&A. Afterwards there was some standing reception downstairs at Roy Thomson Hall's pavillion with some free light snacks and drinks. Francis, and Prem with his wife and family walked through the shareholders, talking with them personally, greeting friends, standing for photos and making autographs at "The Templeton Plan" book. Then in the afternoon,... Sanjeev had his own AGM for Corner Market Capital (CMC),... which of course was some excellent event by itself. I would everybody just encourage to also visit this AGM as well.

Sanjeev wrote some neat essay from this years meeting.

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/fairfax-financial/two-days-in-toronto-fairfax-dinner-fairfax-agm/msg75606/#msg75606

We also hold our AGM immediately after Fairfax's at Roy Thomson Hall.  Just follow the hallway to the stairs and go down to the Pickering/Green rooms.  We have food and beverages as well.  We were pretty packed last year.

Thanks for the details, Sanjeev. Is the Corner Capital AGM only for investors in Corner Capital, or is it open to everybody?

No, it is open to everyone.  We had close to 40 people last year, and the rooms hold about 50.  Cheers!

Actually Sanjeev's meeting was some neat icing on the cake to finish the day. While Fairfax AGM had some 950 people in attendance, the Corner Market meeting had a more college classroom atmosphere,... the partners were sitting in the middle of the room around a big table, while visitors could sit around at the sidelines. I personally encouraged people to go to Sanjeev's AGM,... since I believed he wouldn't throw out maybe his future new partners. Of course Norman was also very active asking questions.

Thanks guys, sounds good! I think I'll come to the Dinner, AGM, and then Corner Capital AGM. Will buy my tickets and make reservations very soon. Should be fun!  :)

Otherwise I should also encourage people to stay until Friday. Because on this day of the week,... the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), of which Prem is a trustee,... has a worldwide very unique museum evening. The so called, "Friday Night Live @ ROM", expect the unexpected, eat sushi and drink wine amongst the Dino's, at Toronto's Bloor Street with live music. Just wonder why Prem himself doesn't encourage us shareholders to see this special ROM evening.

All right, just bought my ticket for the Fairfax dinner. Sanjeev, would love if you could confirm via PM or here that you got the order (I left a "note to the vendor" to say it was me).

I guess you guys will be stuck with me this year! :)

edit: Wow, I found a hotel room across the street for 69$ CAD for one night. Who can beat that? It's about as big as a broom closet, which is probably the way a young Buffett would have liked it  8)

All right, just bought my ticket for the Fairfax dinner. Sanjeev, would love if you could confirm via PM or here that you got the order (I left a "note to the vendor" to say it was me).

I guess you guys will be stuck with me this year! :)

Hi Liberty,

Yup, I've got it.  You're good to go for the dinner.  See you there!  Cheers!