Investment advice from the world's most experienced investor

kiwing100

I think it was in this interview that Irving told the story about investing in a Japanese company that employed women with big "lungs" who dove in the sea to fish for oysters.  :D

Who said looking for value was boring?

Yup, this was the interview.  Something to the effect, these women have big lungs, and so they have big chests and can dive for long periods to put a grain of sand in the oyster.  Cheers!

I think it was in this interview that Irving told the story about investing in a Japanese company that employed women with big "lungs" who dove in the sea to fish for oysters.  :D

Yup, this was the interview.  Something to the effect, these women have big lungs, and so they have big chests and can dive for long periods to put a grain of sand in the oyster.  Cheers!

Interestingly, the women have big lungs because they dive for pearls not vice versa.  In the beginning the men dove for pearls and the women helped.  Then it was discovered that the women had greater capacity to tolerate the cold water  because of their extra body fat, so the roles reversed.  In the early days the women dove pretty much au naturel in the Japanese fashion.

:)

Big-lunged, au naturelle women!  Maybe I'll start an oyster farm.  :o  Cheers!

Interestingly, the women have big lungs because they dive for pearls not vice versa.  In the beginning the men dove for pearls and the women helped.  Then it was discovered that the women had greater capacity to tolerate the cold water  because of their extra body fat, so the roles reversed.  In the early days the women dove pretty much au naturelle in the Japanese fashion.

:)