Anyone Live In The Detroit, Michigan Area?

Parsad

Hi Arbitragr,

No, I'm not moving.  I was just saying how expensive houses are in Vancouver, and how Omaha is a very nice city.  Although one day, I plan on living for a few months at a time in the U.S. and elsewhere.  Just something I've always wanted to do.  Cheers!

Hi Arbitragr,

No, I'm not moving.  I was just saying how expensive houses are in Vancouver, and how Omaha is a very nice city.  Although one day, I plan on living for a few months at a time in the U.S. and elsewhere.  Just something I've always wanted to do.  Cheers!

If you need US residency there are investment based visas that you can attain, especially in regards to property whereby you set up a property investment holding company and manage your investments.

Guest kawikaho

Not in the main part of the city, but in south SF... big time.  Daly City too. 

Buy in places that people actually admire....

I'm thinking about buying a condo in San Francisco, but I don't know if the city was really hit that hard.

• 4 months later...

This story reminded me of an old thread about Detroit real estate...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/detroit-house-auction-flops-for-urban-wasteland/article1338570/

Despite a minimum bid of $500, less than a fifth of the land was sold after four days

$100-125 per square foot?  Good Lord!  I'm thinking of moving to Detroit next week!   ;D  In Vancouver suburbs, you would be lucky to find something for $350-400 per square foot.  Right in the city, you would be fortunate to find something for $550-600 per square foot!  It takes almost 65% of the average family's disposable income to support housing costs in Vancouver...crazy! 

I don't expect things to get much better as the winter Olympics draw closer.  A buddy of mine has been offered $15,000 for two weeks to rent his 500 square foot studio in downtown Vancouver during the Olympics.  Some homeowners have already booked their homes for upwards of $40K for two weeks.  Nuts!  Cheers!

I read that article and it was an interesting read.

I live near Grand Rapids, MI which is 2 hours from Detroit, the house prices here are ridiculously low as well. One of my clients has a great business of working with investors setting up LLC's with the partners and he buys the properties rehabs them and manages the rental of the units and it is incredible how easy it is to cash flow with them at these low prices, plus he has been able to maintain over 95% occupancy. I think he has now rehabbed and rented out around 300 units. There is some great investment opportunities out there in cash flowing rental units.

SmallCap