make up of investors on the board

racemize

Value Line is probably the most influential research tool for Buffett, as he was quote saying,... it's an incredible value! ... and he doesn't know of another system that's as good. If Buffett is Yoda, this would be his light saber. Simple as that. -- I personally couldn't live without it, and it's my no.1 tool that I'm addicted to. Value Line has about 100,000 subscribers. The flagship tool is "The Value Line Investment Survey", that comes both as paper or online subscription, and paper also contains free online access. Most public libraries or major universities have them.

I found a library branch that carries Value Line, so I'm going to go check it out and see if it would be worth it for me to subscribe.

They have a 3 month trial subscription for $75. You get 13 segments, one each week that covers 1700 stocks. You also get online access where you can download all the pdf's for the 1700 stocks (using a download browser utility). I get this once every couple of years. For me it is definitely worth it.

The first thing I do when researching a stock is to look up the Valueline pdf so it comes in pretty handy. Also going through the 1700 stocks one at a time gives you a very good sense of the majority of the large cap and mid cap stocks in US. Also it allowed me to short list about 200 stocks that pass a first screen of quality criteria that I plan to keep an eye on and develop a competency in.

If you just want to look at how a valueline report looks like they have free reports for the Dow 30 stocks on their website.

Vinod

Is anyone a subscriber to Gurufocus? They seem to also have lots of info and screens and such. I'm only a free user, but I'm wonder if maybe they cover a lot of the same data as VL, maybe at a cheaper price. (no paper version, though)

i use gurufocus, it's great, especially the 10 year financial data, which can be downloaded to excel, attached is an example for MMM

10 year valuations and history on guru holdings are usefull

regards

rijk

2011-12-7-10-13.xls

I subscribe to gurufocus, it's a fountain of good info.

With respect to Value Line, a few months ago I discovered The Value Guys, podcast via iTunes http://thevalueguys.com/ (its free as well). Every episode they go through Value Line small and mid-cap edition and look at 3 or 4 of their picks for the most promising ones. It's a good podcast to listen to in the car.