Bugs with this board's software

DCG

" I've changed the features so that members cannot delete their own threads."

1) Until this subject arose I wasn't aware that a poster could delete threads. I wholehartedly agree that we should not have the power to do this as a person could start a thread and not even participate in it and then for whatever reasons, delete everyone's valuable participation.

2) It would also be nice to tone down the personal attacks. Surely we are all grown up enough that we as a group can avoid this. Certainly we will often disagree and see things differently. That is the value of the board. There are always more than one view of a subject. I WANT to see the pro's and con's so I can help make up my own mind with some decent information. Also when we present our own opinions we should all be open to other views. I would never be so arrogant as to think my view was the only correct one. I certainly have the right to defend my view and disagree with others, but not in such a way as to personally attack anyone. You guys are all brighter than that and I only wish I had a fraction of the knowledge and expertise that is shown by many members of this board.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VAL9000

Question? Anyone know how many board members do we have now?

Board stats are below the "Recent Posts" area on the home page:

41350 Posts in 4250 Topics by 915 Members. Latest Member: drkothapalli

As I am guessing that most of the posters here have been investing for a while and are not complete newbies to it. Not in any way to suggest that I'm a seasoned veteran, as I am continually learning and feel I have a long long way to go. But it may be worthwhile to keep in mind that a lot of people new to investing may be lurking and trying to learn how to filter all the information that is available.

That being said, I understand DCGs' comments about how Harry's' actions may  "appear" and feel both Harry and Ballin are not reading them with the intention they were meant. It wasn't meant to impugn Harry's character, but to point out  how certain action may be perceived by whoever does them, rightly or wrongly. Just ask Warren if actions aren't a reflection on your character and investment value. If I had just read any article on a possible investment idea then when searching came across information that they had deleted a thread discussing the merits a flag would be raised. Just like when I read an article praising the merits I give more credit if the writer has put there own money in. If they are touting it and saying they have no holding in right now, or are planning to. I can't help but think they are just filling space for the sake of filling space. I'm sure everyone here have little things that can add more or less weight to an investment decision. Would be an interesting thread.

Again I'm just talking about appearance, I have no knowledge of anyone's intent.

Forgot, something that probably can't be said enough, thanks to Parsad for a great job, that at times probably feels like a thankless job.

Another board member also noticed that Bronco has deleted his membership, which I find unfortunate.  Bronco, you are welcome to post.  My only request is that everyone treat each other with some respect, and we watch the amount of foul or offensive language strewn around here in the last few months.  Most of the complaints I have received have been regarding such subjects.  Generally, members should try and remain courteous and above the fray...turn the other cheek on occasion so to speak!  Cheers!

I'm sure he's still lurking on this board, so Bronco consider this my official request (rallying cry?) that you create a new account and return to active duty immediately.  The value of this board is lower without your membership.

+1

Unless I missed, I don't remember him using an offensive language.

I'm sure he's still lurking on this board, so Bronco consider this my official request (rallying cry?) that you create a new account and return to active duty immediately.  The value of this board is lower without your membership.

That being said, I understand DCGs' comments about how Harry's' actions may  "appear" and feel both Harry and Ballin are not reading them with the intention they were meant. It wasn't meant to impugn Harry's character, but to point out  how certain action may be perceived by whoever does them, rightly or wrongly.

I never drew those conclusions from his actions.

The investment community is a small place, the value-side of it, smaller still. As Parsad will know from Fairfax, idle and unsubstantiated talk can easily spread. You and I are lucky in that sense. You can say what you like about me, but because I am anonymous, I don't have to worry about the reputation of my character. For Harry, it's different. When you put something down on the internet, it's recorded and easily searchable through the Google index. Also, I'm sure Parsad can tell you that this place is monitored by some of the big wigs of the investment industry. Perfectly understandable that Harry should react.

Finally, Harry created several other threads on things like SURW, FMMH, and EBIX and we generated quite a lot of debate that was both positive and negative, so to suggest that Harry took the ball and ran off home just because someone disagreed with him is disingenuous.

I bump heads with a few people here and there (especially concerning economics and politics). At the end of the day people will have their opinion, and should have their opinion. I think once neither is budging or receptive its time to agree to disagree and move on to something else. I enjoy a spirited debate as much as the next guy, but at some point you are just yelling at each other. When it gets there I think its time to find better things to do.

We all know what they say about arguing on the internet.....

Just my thoughts.

"I never drew those conclusions from his actions. "

I can understand how you may not, especially with my assuming you are inside the investment industry. But I would hope you would understand how a private investor like myself views a lot of information with a little jaded view.

"The investment community is a small place, the value-side of it, smaller still. As Parsad will know from Fairfax, idle and unsubstantiated talk can easily spread. You and I are lucky in that sense. You can say what you like about me, but because I am anonymous, I don't have to worry about the reputation of my character. For Harry, it's different. When you put something down on the internet, it's recorded and easily searchable through the Google index. Also, I'm sure Parsad can tell you that this place is monitored by some of the big wigs of the investment industry. Perfectly understandable that Harry should react."

That really was his choice as far as anonymity, I go under Tyska just because that is how most do it. If you really want to know my name it would take very little work to find though, as I use that name or a variation on all boards I'm on. Or you could just ask. I'm actually envious of someone who can write eloquently enough on a stock to be accused of pump and dump . :) But he is obviously trying to make a name for himself and you said he is young. But again in my view, a simple, that was not at all my intention, response would have sufficed, and probably would look more impressive to a big wig following. An investor like myself may not even be who he is trying to attract as a follower to his articles either, I don't know.

"Finally, Harry created several other threads on things like SURW, FMMH, and EBIX and we generated quite a lot of debate that was both positive and negative, so to suggest that Harry took the ball and ran off home just because someone disagreed with him is disingenuous. "

I'm not sure how it can be disingenuous when it truly raises a concern about why did someone do that. And that it has been done numerous times only reinforces that concern. The feeling is ingenuous even if the reality isn't.

Another board member also noticed that Bronco has deleted his membership, which I find unfortunate.  Bronco, you are welcome to post.  My only request is that everyone treat each other with some respect, and we watch the amount of foul or offensive language strewn around here in the last few months.  Most of the complaints I have received have been regarding such subjects.  Generally, members should try and remain courteous and above the fray...turn the other cheek on occasion so to speak!  Cheers!

Hear!  Hear!  Bronco, You're the man. I have never considered your comments to be in any way abusive, but in good fun.  Your departure is our loss.