Congrats to Sam Mitchell and Francis Chou for their Int'l Coal Investment

FFHWatcher

Arch Coal to buy International Coal for $14.60/share in cash deal.  We know FFH still owns ICO as they have to report their trades and I can only assume Chou Associates still owns ICO as they did at their Dec. 31, 2010 filing.  As I recall, Francis picked up a bunch at $2.50 or some insanely low price like that.  FFH sold about half of their position a few months ago at something close to $9. as did Wilbur Ross.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Arch-Coal-buy-rival-capress-289306301.html?x=0

This hurts, bought at $4.01 and sold at $9.45...

So did Prem et al.  Therefore, that price probably was close to IV, conservatively valued. 

What was it that one of the greatest of the Rothschilds said when asked the secret of his investing success?  I think it was something like: " I never sold anything for the highest price."

:)

This hurts, bought at $4.01 and sold at $9.45...

Are you kidding?  Ummm, that is called a home run.  You averaged in at less than Hamlin Watsa and sold out just above where they sold half and below what they are selling their other half.  Your net % gain is likely in the same neighborhood as HW.  May all your 'this hurts,...' be that bad.  Me, on the other hand averaged a little lower but sold out WAY lower than you.  Too embarrassing to type but not at a loss.

Given the energy conditions I saw more upside, but was spooked by watsa and ross selling.  That's really why I say it hurts, of course if I could get returns like that everytime I would be very happy!