Live Chat with Joel Greenblatt

SmallCap

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned he is basically not doing any sort of bottom up analysis anymore.  He is full time working on his quantitative investment firm.  He said he still loved bottom up analysis, just that his other research was a full time job. 

I wonder if he thinks that after a certain point (maybe when you manage above $5 Billion) that quantative is just as good as bottom up analysis.

This is kinda what i've been thinking lately.  I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to see, but besides David Tepper, is there anyone who is beating the MFI (over the past 5 years) by a large margin, who is managing above $5 Billion?

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned he is basically not doing any sort of bottom up analysis anymore.  He is full time working on his quantitative investment firm.  He said he still loved bottom up analysis, just that his other research was a full time job. 

I wonder if he thinks that after a certain point (maybe when you manage above $5 Billion) that quantative is just as good as bottom up analysis.

This is kinda what i've been thinking lately.  I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to see, but besides David Tepper, is there anyone who is beating the MFI (over the past 5 years) by a large margin, who is managing above $5 Billion?

I still think he is tired of doing security analysis. At a certain point when you are a successful money manager. You want to move to other areas such building an empire e.g. berkshire and sears or figure out quantitative strategies like Graham or Greenblatt. Obviously there are exceptions. In fact he doing interesting research. Since he is putting real money at risk. We shall see if his theories are true.