Best inflationary investment

Zorrofan

Guest JackRiver

nodnub

All I will say is that the positives that you point out would also apply to UNP.  I'm not buying UNP.

Yours

Jack River

I haven't been able to distinguish greatly between UP and BNI either.  BNI has the least captive traffic out of the top four railroads.  The one thing that I haven't been able to quantify/verify is how much of BNI's coal traffic is truly "below market rates" or being renegotiated in the next few years. I believe that I looked into a revenue per coal ton/mile for UP and BNI and there wasn't a glaring difference that would indicate BNI has been charging below market rates.  UP and BNI both have track in and out of the PRB and I believe they both have traffic in and out of LA. 

The rail being able to charge 180% of variable costs to captive traffic was interesting to read about and promising but BNI has the least.  I was thinking that BNI might have the most captive traffic making it more attractive than others but I found disconfirming info.  The one cool thing about (somewhat/previously) regulated industries is that there is a plethora of information from reliable sources.

You know it's a good industry when your customers are taking you to court over your prices!  Only 3 cases since deregulation (1980) that have resulted in refunds to customers (but all in the last few years).  That is a strong case against re-regulation.

I have invested in the 3.6% real and 3.0% real series of I-Bonds, currently yielding in the 8-9% range.  I consider them to be the gold-standard in terms of the lowest risk investment that is possible. This is a protection aganist "Risk's that I dont know that I dont know" or "Black Swans" or "Hedge" or just plan something really bad happening. I had this allocation right from the day I started investing and plan to have  in future regardless of current economic events.

Vinod