Buying BYD in US?

Guest valueInv

No offense intended but did you actually try searching for the ticker on any financial websites?

Trades as "1211" on the HK exchange.  BYDDF is the ADR ticker in the USA.  BYDDY is an OTC ticker for 1/10 of a share.

Financial statements in English appear to be here...

http://bydit.com/doce/investor/BasicInformation/

http://bydit.com/doce/investor/CorporateReport/AnnualReport/AnnualReport2009/

I also found a link to the 2009 annual report English halfway down this page.

http://www.todayir.com/e/showcases_details.php?code=1211#0

Thanks. I was confused by all the listings that got pulled up when I searched for BYD.

I've used BYDDY and still own a significant position in this company.  This is much more efficient through my Schwab account than BYDDF, which can only be bought through the international desk, which would require at least 500 shares be bought, and charge a $100 commission (compared with no minimal share purchase requirement and the normal $8.95 commission for the BYDDY unsponsored ADR). 

I have tried to find out if there is any negative to purchasing an  unsponsored ADR, but have not found any disadvantages, other than Citigroup's $.02 per share per year as the fee for administering the unsponsored ADR.  Does anyone have any counter-information on that:  for instance, do unsponsored ADRs have qualities that make them more unstable (other than the obvious one of possible liquidity problems, which can largely be effaced by judicious use of limit orders when buying or selling). 

Thanks.

This should help.  I actually didn't even know myself.  Looks to me the only disadvantage is if you're a bigtime investor where voting rights matter to you.  I pulled this up from Investopedia.

"What Does Unsponsored ADR Mean?

An American depositary receipt (ADR) that is issued without the involvement of the foreign company whose stock underlies the ADR. Shareholder benefits, voting rights and other attached rights may not be extended to the holders of these particular securities."

Source: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unsponsoredadr.asp

Thanks. I was confused by all the listings that got pulled up when I searched for BYD.

I've used BYDDY and still own a significant position in this company.  This is much more efficient through my Schwab account than BYDDF, which can only be bought through the international desk, which would require at least 500 shares be bought, and charge a $100 commission (compared with no minimal share purchase requirement and the normal $8.95 commission for the BYDDY unsponsored ADR). 

I have tried to find out if there is any negative to purchasing an  unsponsored ADR, but have not found any disadvantages, other than Citigroup's $.02 per share per year as the fee for administering the unsponsored ADR.  Does anyone have any counter-information on that:  for instance, do unsponsored ADRs have qualities that make them more unstable (other than the obvious one of possible liquidity problems, which can largely be effaced by judicious use of limit orders when buying or selling). 

Thanks.

That should not be the case.  Sponsored ADR (BYDDF) should trade for a normal commission. It is a US traded ADR.  It should only go through the international desk if you are buying BYD as "1211" on HongKong Exchange. 

--

confirmed.. my broker only charges regular $9,95 commission on BYDDF.  Better to buy BYDDF than BYDDY if there are no voting or other rights attached to the unsponsored ADR (BYDDY)

• 10 months later...