The Techno-Optimist Manifesto

I thought I'd share something that is relevant today, more than maybe ever before, because of AI, social media, and other new technologies (CRISPR, etc):

https://a16z.com/the-techno-optimist-manifesto/

Our species is 300,000 years old. For the first 290,000 years, we were foragers, subsisting in a way that’s still observable among the Bushmen of the Kalahari and the Sentinelese of the Andaman Islands. Even after Homo Sapiens embraced agriculture, progress was painfully slow. A person born in Sumer in 4,000BC would find the resources, work, and technology available in England at the time of the Norman Conquest or in the Aztec Empire at the time of Columbus quite familiar. Then, beginning in the 18th Century, many people’s standard of living skyrocketed. What brought about this dramatic improvement, and why? Marian Tupy

For example: AI, other than being a way of tricking gullible investors, will reshape the world. The optimist's take on AI is that it will create jobs, the pessimist's take is that it will destroy jobs. Both sides are probably right to some degree. In any case, I think it's a good idea to think about techno-optimism once in a while. History has not been on the side of techno-pessimists, luddites, for example. However, progress can be stalled for centuries, for example, Heliocentrism and nuclear energy, for good and bad reasons.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Posted (edited)

A quote from the article:

Centralized planning is doomed to fail, the system of production and consumption is too complex.

You could argue that one place where centralized planning did not fail was the Manhattan Project. This is an example where centralized planning does not fail, because until recently no company had the resources to initiate a project like that and attract the talent. Today, for example, OpenAI, Tesla, Meta, Google, Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft, have the resources to repeat it in AI. I doubt the EU and the US have the resources and will to do it, but the CCP might have.

Edited by formthirteen

7 hours ago, formthirteen said:

You could argue that one place where centralized planning did not fail was the Manhattan Project.

That's a better example of "necessity being the mother of invention," I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an article with pretty much the opposite arguments:

https://citationneeded.news/effective-obfuscation/

Silicon Valley's "effective altruism" and "effective accelerationism" only give a thin philosophical veneer to the industry's same old impulses.

Despite the futuristic language of his manifesto, its message is clear: Andreessen wants to go back. Back to a time when technology founders were uncritically revered, and when obstacles between him and staggering profits were nearly nonexistent. When people weren't so mean to billionaires, but instead admired them for "undertaking the Hero's Journey, rebelling against the status quo, mapping uncharted territory, conquering dragons, and bringing home the spoils for our community."c

The same is true of the broader effective accelerationism philosophy, which speaks with sneering derision of those who would slow development (and thus profits) or advocate for caution. In a world that is waking up to the externalities of unbridled growth in terms of climate change, and of technology's "build now and work the kinks out later" philosophy in terms of things like online radicalization, negative impacts of social media, and the degree of surveillance creeping into everyday life, effective accelerationists too are yearning for the past.

I think she's trying to say that profits should be shared and that there shouldn't be unlimited growth or progress.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:00 AM, formthirteen said:

I thought I'd share something that is relevant today, more than maybe ever before, because of AI, social media, and other new technologies (CRISPR, etc):

https://a16z.com/the-techno-optimist-manifesto/

For example: AI, other than being a way of tricking gullible investors, will reshape the world. The optimist's take on AI is that it will create jobs, the pessimist's take is that it will destroy jobs. Both sides are probably right to some degree. In any case, I think it's a good idea to think about techno-optimism once in a while. History has not been on the side of techno-pessimists, luddites, for example. However, progress can be stalled for centuries, for example, Heliocentrism and nuclear energy, for good and bad reasons.

the optimistic take should be that it destroys jobs. Every step of human progress has always involved eliminating or reducing labor required to make (or grow) things.