Annual Letter - 2021

ValueMaven

3 hours ago, yesman182 said:

A little, but he probably had it written when Tom stepped down.

But that's not the only change. Walter Scott passed away and they added Susan Buffett and Chris Davis. That's quite a few changes since 2021. I think the quality of the board has gone down in recent years with Gates, Scott & Murphy departing and their replacements not of the same heft. 

Edited by Munger_Disciple

1 hour ago, Munger_Disciple said:

But that's not the only change. Walter Scott passed away and they added Susan Buffett and Chris Davis. That's quite a few changes since 2021. I think the quality of the board has gone down in recent years with Gates, Scott & Murphy departing and their replacements not of the same heft. 

I agree and know what you’re saying, but what does the board really do? IMO the board is there at this stage of the game to just preserve the order as executors of Buffets “will” (that’s the way I look at it) and his daughter I would assume will be able to do that adequately. Greg, Ajit, Ted and Todd are the big players, IMO the board is almost like a technicality and there to make sure BRK isn’t broken up etc. The culture at BRK runs deep regardless of who sits on the board.

1 hour ago, Blugolds11 said:

I agree and know what you’re saying, but what does the board really do? IMO the board is there at this stage of the game to just preserve the order as executors of Buffets “will” (that’s the way I look at it) and his daughter I would assume will be able to do that adequately. Greg, Ajit, Ted and Todd are the big players, IMO the board is almost like a technicality and there to make sure BRK isn’t broken up etc. The culture at BRK runs deep regardless of who sits on the board.

I disagree. The board has critical oversight role over the next CEO. I am confident Abel will be a fine CEO but board is there as a failsafe mechanism if something were to go wrong however low that probability might be. IIRC it is the board that acted decisively (not Buffett) when the unfortunate Sokol incident happened. 

1 minute ago, yesman182 said:

Hasn't buffet said in the past that the board will be consulted about major acquisitions?  Howard, Susan and Chris would appear to be of little help in that department.

What's wrong with Chris?  Seems at least as good as Meryl Whitmer.