Corporate tax cuts and P/E ratio

tede02

Last year's tax cuts increased corporate profits by about 21.5% (all things equal) with the stroke of a pen. It seems to me this would really distort Shiller's PE10. Stock prices in the US had looked expensive relative to history for quite some time and then over-night, things changed. Am I over-thinking this? The market obviously reprices the new earnings so perhaps it doesn't matter. I just wonder how different something like the PE10 would look if the denominator were replaced with a pre-tax figure or operating income. 

Last year's tax cuts increased corporate profits by about 21.5% (all things equal) with the stroke of a pen. It seems to me this would really distort Shiller's PE10. Stock prices in the US had looked expensive relative to history for quite some time and then over-night, things changed. Am I over-thinking this? The market obviously reprices the new earnings so perhaps it doesn't matter. I just wonder how different something like the PE10 would look if the denominator were replaced with a pre-tax figure or operating income.

I think this is a MAJOR threat to the market in the years going forward.  Sure, tax rates are low right NOW, but what happens in 2-3 years or so?

What happens if a Democrat gets elected to the Presidency? and/or they pick up more seats in the House and Senate?  As a party, they've said they want to raise taxes across the board.  Some Democrats have also voiced concern that the employment rate is too high.  That the economy as a whole is "overheated" and needs to be brought down or cooled off.

I think that is VERY dangerous thinking.  Here in Michigan, the economy is good, maybe even very good, but not great.  Of course, the economy here has been depressed for a LONG time.  It would be terrible if the economy here had 8 bad years, 2 good years, and then went back down again.

I am also surprised that people are NOT upset that tax rates were not lowered BEFORE now.

Whatever happens, the future is certainly going to be interesting!

It’s something to keep in mind for sure.

I personally think there’s a reasonably good chance that the tax cuts get reversed at some point.  The federal government’s budget deficit does not look sustainable, and taxing corporate income is a relatively easy way to raise revenue, both politically (“let’s make those rich corporations pay their fair share!” + you essentially get to tax foreigners’ income too as an added bonus) and administratively (corporations are easier to monitor/audit than individuals). 

And even if tax rates stay where they are, the gains will likely be competed away over time in a number of industries where economic moats tend to be weak.

So I’m operating under the assumption that US stocks are actually somewhat more expensive than what their TTM or forward P/Es might suggest.  It certainly matters on the margin.