AMZN?

ok22

I bought a Kindle and have bought  + read more books than ever (I have several waiting to be read thanks to recommendations from posters here). i really like it. Cheap. Value is in the content they sell me

I thought it was a great model as it did not appear that they spent much on the Kindle software or Hardware (it was quite simple + flimsy but works real well) and they have to have good margins on me downloading books.

I guess they are trying to get me to buy music + movies was well. Txlaw I did not realize that folks are not allowed to download to Apple tv , IPAD etc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they are trying to get me to buy music + movies was well. Txlaw I did not realize that folks are not allowed to download to Apple tv , IPAD etc

You actually can download your books to your iPad or iPhone using a particular e-reader app.  For example, I have the Kindle app on my iPhone 4.  And I have the Steve Jobs bio downloaded to my iPhone, which I can read whenever I want to.

However, you will see that Amazon is not allowed to have in-app purchases (you would have to use an Amazon web app or the mobile version of the AMZN website to do that), and it is not allowed to refer people to its website. 

Note that this is actually a compromise position on Apple's part.  If it wouldn't have a caused a huge stink among users, Apple probably would have disapproved the Kindle app. 

What about the fact that e-reader apps on the iPad or iPhone cannot in any fashion direct users to their own stores for media purchases? 

Apple's App Store policy forbids Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo from allowing in-app purchases and from directing people to their own stores.  That's because Apple wants a cut of any media purchased while using an iPad; making the Apple storefront the easiest to use on the iPad is a way of shifting sales from those guys to it.  If it could, Apple would probably try to take a 30% cut of any sales made by AMZN and the like on the iPad.

The way around this is through HTML5 web based apps ... both Kobo and AMZN are developing these and they should be out soon (B&N might be out with this sometime too -- but usually lag a bit).  The user wont be able to tell the difference -- but would have to go to the web initially to get a similar app icon set up on the device.  It will be all web based and therefore bypass the iTunes store completely. 

I read an article the other day (not sure how accurate), that tablet users prefer to browse rather than use apps.  I guess because of the real estate on tablets -- use of apps is significantly less than on smartphones.  So this issue would seem more to impact iPhones -- again it can be dealt with via HTML 5 web-based apps but there is no guarantee the user will set it up.  It brings up an interesting thought as to whether we might see Kindle and Kobo phones sometime in the future.  The smart phone might not be as important to do the actual reading and such - but in the future it will be a very pivotal point of sale device for many commerce transactions.  The Android phone in it's full open form is a good concept; however updates are slow at coming - one thing that Kobo thus far has placed a priority on is updates and open architecture. 

What about the fact that e-reader apps on the iPad or iPhone cannot in any fashion direct users to their own stores for media purchases? 

Apple's App Store policy forbids Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobo from allowing in-app purchases and from directing people to their own stores.  That's because Apple wants a cut of any media purchased while using an iPad; making the Apple storefront the easiest to use on the iPad is a way of shifting sales from those guys to it.  If it could, Apple would probably try to take a 30% cut of any sales made by AMZN and the like on the iPad.

The way around this is through HTML5 web based apps ... both Kobo and AMZN are developing these and they should be out soon (B&N might be out with this sometime too -- but usually lag a bit).  The user wont be able to tell the difference -- but would have to go to the web initially to get a similar app icon set up on the device.  It will be all web based and therefore bypass the iTunes store completely. 

I read an article the other day (not sure how accurate), that tablet users prefer to browse rather than use apps.  I guess because of the real estate on tablets -- use of apps is significantly less than on smartphones.  So this issue would seem more to impact iPhones -- again it can be dealt with via HTML 5 web-based apps but there is no guarantee the user will set it up.  It brings up an interesting thought as to whether we might see Kindle and Kobo phones sometime in the future.  The smart phone might not be as important to do the actual reading and such - but in the future it will be a very pivotal point of sale device for many commerce transactions.  The Android phone in it's full open form is a good concept; however updates are slow at coming - one thing that Kobo thus far has placed a priority on is updates and open architecture.

I agree that web apps are a work around, but if the price to purchase media is consistent among stores, then users may go with the solution with the least friction.  Next to the Apple Newsstand could come the Apple Bookstand/Bookshelf.  If I'm already logged into my Apple account, and I can use one-click to purchase a book, I might just buy through the Apple store rather than the Amazon store because its easier. 

I would also note that Apple has filed a patent application for a hybrid LCD/e-Ink screen:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/224698/apple_develops_eink_hybrid_display.html

I love my iPad Kindle and Zinio apps for reducing paper clutter around my house. I have 12 magazine subscriptions with Zinio and have over 200 paid books on Kindle and love the ease of use and accessibility on different devices as well.

People are equally happy with their Kobo's and how they sync from device to device..... library is as big and probably a lot larger on a global scale.  Zinio is just now being integrated for the first time through the Kobo Vox - also a a streaming music service that dates the iTunes model back into the dark ages.  Incidentally, the Kobo Vox should be on display in all Chapters/Indigo stores in Canada this Friday.  Might also be in some shops like Best Buy in the US late this week too --- Kobo got a big jump on AMZN on this one as the Kindle Fire doesn't ship until Nov 15. 

Price is the same as the Kindle Fire .... in fact one can get $10 off using a coupon if you preorder - time is running out though.  Coupon code is kobovox10 --- equates to $189.99 for the device. 

http://www.kobo.com/ereaders/kobo-vox.html

Personally, I wonder if a 9 or 10 inch screen would better suit my needs.... and am thinking of waiting for that (iPads are way too much $$ for what I need).  The 7 inch Kobo Vox in many ways looks like a better build than the Kindle Fire.  It comes with a nicer display and memory is expandable...... if people are planning on using this for more than a reading device I think they might be a little disappointed in the non-expandable memory of the Kindle Fire.  Just not sure how that cloud service is suppose to work while away from Wi-Fi.  I guess a lot of smartphones have hot spot availability - but that really is a bit of a hassle and does not work anyway when on a plane or in the subway, etc, etc. 

Anyway, here are the highlights I mentioned for the Kobo Vox when it was announced - still not sure if Android Market is totally open but I guess we will find out more on Friday. 

It was officially announced today, the Kobo Vox - 'The peoples Voice (Vox Populi)"

Here are some positives worth noting:

- Price matches Kindle Fire at $199.99

- Delivering about 18 days ahead of KF (Oct 28 vs Nov 15)

- Comes with an AFFS+ screen which is arguably better than IPS (which both KF and NC use).  Note: AFFS+ technology is used in airplane cock pits.

- Same on board memory as KF (8GB) - however, KV is expandable to 32GB (KF not expandable at all)

- Comes with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and would seem to have access to Google Market Place (but check this). The open nature of the device would seem to indicate you are not locked into Kobo's store.  Might require further clarification - but it would seem they are not locking out other reading apps (Kindle, B&N, etc).  KF is locked to Amazon app store.

- A gift of 7 newspapers of your choice (I don't know for how long)

- 12 Free popular magazines

- Available in 4 colours

Offsetting the above positives I found one negative:

- KV's processor is similar to NC but is  slower than KF.  KV has an 800 MHZ single core processor vs a 1GHZ dual core for the KF.  I guess that is why they are referring to the KV as a reader (not a tablet). 

So KV would seem more suited for heavy reading but lighter on the media or gaming side (probably something that would suit many requirements here) -- check it out: 

http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/kobo-vox-tablet-kindle-fire-nook-color.html

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/10/19/kobo-wades-into-tablet-wars-with-launch-of-kobo-vox/

I agree that web apps are a work around, but if the price to purchase media is consistent among stores, then users may go with the solution with the least friction.  Next to the Apple Newsstand could come the Apple Bookstand/Bookshelf.  If I'm already logged into my Apple account, and I can use one-click to purchase a book, I might just buy through the Apple store rather than the Amazon store because its easier. 

I would also note that Apple has filed a patent application for a hybrid LCD/e-Ink screen:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/224698/apple_develops_eink_hybrid_display.html

Portability of content in the case of Apple would mean that all your devices must be Apple.  No doubt they are developing e-ink screens and such since people will want portability.  Expect to pay a premium.  Of course you can have more full portability by purchasing your content elsewhere -- Apple just wont make that too easy. 

Meanwhile, expect the alternative devices to get better in quailtiy - expect them to get cheaper.  Watch for consolidation in Android device makers  - and watch for others to get involved - for instance Microsoft.  Expect cannibalization in AMZNs business model - it is probably already happening.

Portability of content in the case of Apple would mean that all your devices must be Apple.  No doubt they are developing e-ink screens and such since people will want portability.  Expect to pay a premium.  Of course you can have more full portability by purchasing your content elsewhere -- Apple just wont make that too easy. 

It does appear initially that you will only be able to read iBooks or iMagazines or whatever they call them on your iOS devices. 

However, I think it is an open question as to whether Apple will eventually allow users to access their iCatalog on non iOS devices.  I know some people don't believe this will happen, but it is possible that Apple will decouple its iContent stores from its devices at some point in the future.  If that is the case, then you might at some point be able to access your iBooks on Android tablets.

But nobody knows for sure what they're thinking about doing in Cupertino.

Meanwhile, expect the alternative devices to get better in quailtiy - expect them to get cheaper.  Watch for consolidation in Android device makers  - and watch for others to get involved - for instance Microsoft.  Expect cannibalization in AMZNs business model - it is probably already happening.

Hence the need for Amazon to get involved on the device level.  It would be a disaster if Amazon allows its physical media business to be destroyed by competitors' digital media businesses.  Cannibalization in AMZN's business model was inevitable, and they have been preparing for this a long time now.  Bezos is a smart guy.