@Parsad - Politics Section?

I know lots of people have different points of views about this situation but here is mine.

CoBF is not just a message board but more of a community. Moreover it is a community made of pretty smart people. Yes we're all passionate about investing. But as a community of smart people we have other thoughts as well. Sometimes it's politics, sometimes it's philosophy, sometimes it's how we approach life.

Sometimes these "non investing" topics can get heated. It may be my "European" nature but I think that that's generally what happens in a community. It's how you work through diverging points of view and hopefully learn things and evolve. On the politics side I can say that I've learned a lot from rkbabang and DTEJD1997 despite the fact that I have different views from them. On the life/philosophy side there's been so much interesting stuff posted here that it's impossible to mention all the posters.

In closing, I think that if you start to choke this line of discussion or that line of discussion you kill the community aspect of the board and with it its dynamism. Some topics can get heated. But I remember that the Valeant thread was red hod. Nobody suggested that be shut down so people can take a breather. But in the end mine is only an opinion it's Sanjeev's board he can do with it whatever he pleases.

Absolutely!

Many users will present brilliant financial analyses & insights (myself not included) & then get all irrational & start screeching in the middle of a philosophical or political discussion.

I tend to like the philosophical discussions & try my best to ignore the politics (the last election was like WWE & elicited a lot of fan engagement.)

I know lots of people have different points of views about this situation but here is mine.

CoBF is not just a message board but more of a community. Moreover it is a community made of pretty smart people. Yes we're all passionate about investing. But as a community of smart people we have other thoughts as well. Sometimes it's politics, sometimes it's philosophy, sometimes it's how we approach life.

Sometimes these "non investing" topics can get heated. It may be my "European" nature but I think that that's generally what happens in a community. It's how you work through diverging points of view and hopefully learn things and evolve. On the politics side I can say that I've learned a lot from rkbabang and DTEJD1997 despite the fact that I have different views from them. On the life/philosophy side there's been so much interesting stuff posted here that it's impossible to mention all the posters.

In closing, I think that if you start to choke this line of discussion or that line of discussion you kill the community aspect of the board and with it its dynamism. Some topics can get heated. But I remember that the Valeant thread was red hod. Nobody suggested that be shut down so people can take a breather. But in the end mine is only an opinion it's Sanjeev's board he can do with it whatever he pleases.

+1.  I don't think it is necessarily politics per se that is the problem, it is when people get rude and mean.  It should be possible to discuss any topic civilly.  What distinguishes politics is that it tends to bring out emotional responses, but that doesn't mean that a bunch of intelligent adults can't keep their emotions in check to have a reasonable discussion.  I don't blame Sanjeev for locking many of the topics he has locked.  The board is working fairly well IMHO.  Things can be discussed with minimal to no moderation, but Sanjeev steps in and locks topics only when people start getting out of hand.  I'd vote for no changes, except maybe people could make a conscious effort to be more civil when they post.  Re-read what you write before hitting post and make sure there are no ad hominem attacks and that you are focusing completely on ideas rather than attacking the other members personally.

++

Couldn't agree with this more. Think we've lost some fine members (ericopoly, kraven, wellmont, ni-co are a few that come to mind) to what felt like personal attacks in the recent past. Hopefully, we can be a bit more civil and tolerant as we continue to build this wonderful community.

+1.  I don't think it is necessarily politics per se that is the problem, it is when people get rude and mean.  It should be possible to discuss any topic civilly.  What distinguishes politics is that it tends to bring out emotional responses, but that doesn't mean that a bunch of intelligent adults can't keep their emotions in check to have a reasonable discussion.  I don't blame Sanjeev for locking many of the topics he has locked.  The board is working fairly well IMHO.  Things can be discussed with minimal to no moderation, but Sanjeev steps in and locks topics only when people start getting out of hand.  I'd vote for no changes, except maybe people could make a conscious effort to be more civil when they post.  Re-read what you write before hitting post and make sure there are no ad hominem attacks and that you are focusing completely on ideas rather than attacking the other members personally.

++