Most memorable company event & subsequent share price movement in past 15 years.

Phaceliacapital

I had a great friend and colleague named Alex Shaw who died way too young this year in February. SEMIQ was a large holding of his and he was passionate about the case - even going so far as flying to Miami to file a motion in the bankruptcy case to reject the initial Plan of Reorg for trying to extinguishing equity. Within a couple of months of his death, the trust made the distribution. Coincidence? I'd like to think not! RIP Alex.

I remember Alex telling me about buying a cheap suit to appear in court - not his usual outfit.

RIP, Alex

PS: I just remembered him in an EQIX related article I wrote. His research on that stock was also outstanding.

Just read your Seeking Alpha article. Nice.

EQIX was before my time, but didn't you guys buy that when it was in bankruptcy when it was trading for pennies per share? Congrats for hanging on to it!

Just read your Seeking Alpha article. Nice.

EQIX was before my time, but didn't you guys buy that when it was in bankruptcy when it was trading for pennies per share? Congrats for hanging on to it!

Equinix was very closed to bk, but saved at the very last minute by an investment from the Singapore Government through Temasek Holdings.

Yes, we did buy very low - my best investment ever in absolute terms. Alex decided to move into chapter 11 stocks mainly when Equinix started its turnaround, and did not benefit as much. As you said, SEMIQ was probably his most outstanding return, but I remember very well our first bk investments - Deltagen, Global Power (and a few others, not all of them successful as you may expect from such a risky approach).

His capacity to see 10 years ahead of everybody was outstanding. Sorry for the OT to the other readers.

PS: asking you here as well - are you following Contura Energy as a post bk play?

No - but will take a look.

thanks.

by the way, Equinix (EQIX) after the split might qualify here: it went from single digit to today's $380. great business model and very good management team. I remember several occasions were the stock price got really very depressed because of special situations (comdisco selling shares in bk, etc.), but bottom line there was quite a long period of time where you could buy at what today looks like a great price.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1067691-equinixs-journey-from-ipo-to-the-nasdaq-100-through-near-bankruptcy?source=all_articles_title

equinix_after_split_.thumb.png.a61cf67081fed8046e08dd5e6317c2b0.png