I know we have some Hockey fans here - the whole Bettman/Balsille/Coyotes saga

Smazz

Personally I think it's long over due.  The Leafs seem to think they have a monopoly on NHL hockey, which eventually will prove to be incorrect and against the law.  Balsille has been working for years working up to this, and I think he has caught the NHL off gaurd.

Cheers

Michael

I dont follow hockey much anymore but I have been following this sage.  I cant figure out a couple of things:

1) Why is Balsillie so intent on doing this.

2) Why is the NHL so against Balsillie?

1) Maybe its just the same drive that has helped him and his partner build one of the worlds great tech companies.

2) He has too much money is my theory in game where money now buys the Stanley Cup. 

Al,

from a business angle this is very interesting and alot of businesses, not just sports, are watching this closely.

You see, Balsilles goal is to bring a team to Hamilton On. A city where his wife is from. Hamilton has Copps Coliseum. The only place (after modest upgrades) other than Torontos ACC that can house an NHL team in that area right away. Now this is the interesting part:

Balsille feels he should not have to pay an expansion or territorial fees to the likes of the MLSE (Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment). MLSE has stated they have veto rights because of territories but Balsille claims this is an anti-competitive act - hence the The Competition Bureau weighing in and announcements and claims of such from Balsilles camp.

Bettman doesnt want Balsille for a number of reasons:

The NHL would be losing a large chunk of $ if Balsille gets his way by just relocating a current team into the largest hockey market in the world.

Bettman, for what its worth, would never mention Hamilton/Southern On area as a possibility for another team NHL team but now that documents have become public because of the current bankruptcy, we see he has infact been not intirely sincere on that subject.

I dont follow hockey much anymore but I have been following this sage.  I cant figure out a couple of things:

1) Why is Balsillie so intent on doing this.

2) Why is the NHL so against Balsillie?

I heard a very plausible explanation (a sportscaster whose name eludes me) and it is a classic margin of safety value play by Balsillie.

If he were to approach the NHL and say we want to put a team in Hamilton, they would say OK it'll cost you about $400 million for that market and you'll need to make some additional payments to Buffalo and Toronto for pulling "theoretical" fans of their teams.  Balsillie wants to pay around $200 million for the Coyotes out of Bankruptcy and basically get a 50% margin of safety on a team in a fantastic market for hockey. 

I lived in Hamilton for a long time and their Junior team (The Bulldogs - not sure of the league but they're like the Toronto Marlies) routinely put 3,000 - 4,000 fans into Copps Coliseum.  Hamilton would definitely show up if the NHL did and I personally think it would be terrific for NHL hockey in Ontario/Buffalo not to mention all the junior players and kids growing up and playing in such a rich hockey environment.