How Google Works - Eric Schmidt & Jonathan Rosenberg

TorontoRaptorsFan

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've read it and enjoyed it.

The book covers different aspects of Google that make it stand out against "normal" companies. As you would expect, the abnormal performance of the company over its existence is directly attributed to these aspects (e.g. a very specific culture).

Some things that are being discussed

- importance of building great products

- importance of hiring the best people/engineers (and paying the best wages)

- importance of using data and evidence to take decisions

- importance of giving people the freedom to try and fail

Overall there certainly is a lot to learn from the examples and facts written together in the book. On the other hand, you shouldn't read the book for a very objective study of what worked and what didn't. For me, it would have been more interesting if they shed a little more light on "what didn't work" as to "how google works" now.

All in all, 8/10.

G

Overall there certainly is a lot to learn from the examples and facts written together in the book. On the other hand, you shouldn't read the book for a very objective study of what worked and what didn't. For me, it would have been more interesting if they shed a little more light on "what didn't work" as to "how google works" now.

You raise an interesting point. I wonder if those books can become a subgenre in the self-help/business section. Called "what didn't work" "Failure". Just throwing it out there.