Fukushima: rods removal from the pool at reactor #4

Cardboard

How big of a risk is this in your view? The operation is starting this November or about now.

There are many articles on the topic which for the most part seem alarmist. They talk about the risk of the pool to collapse and if rods contact each other during removal that it will create an uncontrollable chain reaction with some calling for the Northern Hemisphere to be radiated!

IMO, the risk of a pool collapse are largely exaggerated since they have reinforced the entire structure and made a new roof and outside walls. Another large earthquake, tsunami or typhoon could add risk but, I would like to think that they thought about that. What is scary is the amount of tanks that they now have outside the plant to hold millions of gallons of contaminated water. Have a look at pictures, it is quite amazing! As for the removal, it won't be done by computers as it is done normally but, manually which could introduce the possibility of human error.

One thing I must admit is that I had no real understanding about the risk of a pool collapse or how big of a deal it would have been on a global scale if they had not been able to add water to the pool. I was mostly concerned about the reactors or a meltdown a la Chernobyl during the press coverage in 2011. I don't recall the media mentioning the fact that the pool was sitting five story high and that a large percentage of these rods were not fully used since that reactor was down. The risk of the pool to come down at the time was likely much larger than today and I feel shameful to not have appreciated how big of a deal this would have been. We came very close to some form of apocalypse.

Cardboard

There are many articles on the topic which for the most part seem alarmist. They talk about the risk of the pool to collapse and if rods contact each other during removal that it will create an uncontrollable chain reaction with some calling for the Northern Hemisphere to be radiated!

I hate to break it to you, but the entire world is already irradiated.  Be on the look out for cosmic rays and don't take a trip to your basement.   

Alarmist or not, I don't think anybody debates that fixing the Fukushima disaster presents enormous technical challenges and risks. To let nuclear waste pile up in these spent fuel pools all across the country introduces the small chance of a catastrophe. Let enough time elapse and you will get your event. We roll this dice every year and there is no way to get out of it. I'm surprised that the rich and powerful living in and owning New York City have not made a big splash to shut down Indian Point and move the radioactive junk to a place far, far away.