Russia? Anybody with experience investing in that market?

MrB

Dean LaBaron wrote a book in 2002 comparing investing in both China and Russia called 'Mao, Marx, and the Market' with a subtitle Capitalist Adventures in Russia and China.  When I spoke with him about 7-8 years ago he said that it would be highly unlikely that he would invest in Russia again.

My own very dated experience indicated that as soon as the Russians signed a contract they would want to renegotiate.  What -- we just signed the contract?  Reply: Well if you signed the contract you must be taking advantage of us so we want to renegotiate. Hard to adjust 70 years of DNA molding :)  I say just buy an index after it is down 60%, or more, from the previous peak if you want to play the Russian market.

Cheers

JEast

Tell me you can buy. Or if you can help me figure out the reserves are real. if you can know they are there these are the the cheapest things on earth.

Here

All 2012 numbers

So for Lukoil BOE is 17B and  Market Cap 45B.  $2.65 per BOE

For Exxon BOE is 20B and Market Cap 400B. $20 per BOE.

Gazprom BOE 230B and Market Cap 82B.  $0.3565 (gas intensive) Per BOE

Lukoil english statistics page 3

http://www.lukoil.com/static_6_5id_2112_.html

Source Page 10 gazprom reference

gazprom-reference-figures-2008-2012-eng.pdf

My own very dated experience indicated that as soon as the Russians signed a contract they would want to renegotiate.  What -- we just signed the contract?  Reply: Well if you signed the contract you must be taking advantage of us so we want to renegotiate. Hard to adjust 70 years of DNA molding :)  I say just buy an index after it is down 60%, or more, from the previous peak if you want to play the Russian market.

Cheers

JEast

Lovely :)

• 3 weeks later...