Interviews with Combs and Weschler in Omaha World Herald published book

kiwing100

I talked to Francis Chou and he said he reads over 300 pages a day.

Did you ask him how he does it? Practice or technique?

I don't think you need much technique to do it. I could easily read 300 pages a day with good comprehension if that is all I am doing and without pushing myself.

As far as technique goes I think the best is to just trace along each line but at a speed faster than you can handle and then try to keep up. I can pretty easily read more than a page a minute this way. 

The key idea is not speed reading but to vary the speed of your reading and the depth of your thinking based on the importance of what you are reading. Some things you should just skip reading. Other things require only a cursory glace. And still other may require you to read them 10 times over and think very carefully about them. The other thing that is covered in the book is that you need to be very active in your reading. You need to ask questions. Think about the structure of the book. the key arguments, facts supporting them etc. The point is not to read every word....its to get the most out of the book in the shortest possible amount of time.