Jump to content

Dividend Question


Recommended Posts


Speaking of receiving dividend withholding for owners of Canadian stocks based in the U.S., does anyone have details on this document?  I received a link from Schwab which discussed that I should fill out this form if I owned or planned on owning Canadian dividend payers. 


Has there been a change in the tax treaty between Canada and the United States?


TIA for anyone who has info.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Kiltacular,


It is my understanding that the change will affect trusts, not individuals.  The withholding rate will be 25% vs the old 15% unless this form NR301 is filled out

prior to the 1st of the year.  I had to fill one out for a family trust.  I am not sure how it affects non flow through trusts or corporations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...