Patrick Byrne (Overstock CEO) arrested in Utah

Mark Jr.

When a  pistol became  practical to carry, it was called the great equalizer.  Before then, the toughest pugilist or someone who was good with a blade or any gang could steal or kill with impunity.  I can take care of myself, but a diminutive lady I know surprised me recently by telling me that she always carries a pistol in her purse when she goes downtown. She's an expert marksman. and knows how to use her pistol.

This is a good point and one I rarely see brought up by those who want to see guns out of the hands of the public.  When I see a man make a statement for elimination of guns I laugh because it is easy for him to say, he has the upper hand over half the population (women) by being physically stronger.  96% of violent offenders in jail are men, and women are easy targets.  A gun in the hands of a woman levels the playing field.  What would be the effect on rape, assault, and muggings if all women were issued a hand gun to carry in their purses and properly trained in its use?

If that little lady had been in the audience in the theater in Colorado or in the school in Connecticut or on the Island in Skandinavia, there might have been a shooting, but there wouldn't have been a massacre.

Or alternatively she could be one of the victims. The proliferation of arms in the US is simply an arms race run amok. The best defense against a crazy with an assault rifle is not another gun. It is a set of sensible laws that keeps the assault rifle out of the crazy guys hands in the first place. The gun merchant lobby how ever knows that the best thing for their business is easy unfettered access to lots of guns. I realize that I will change no ones mind so I better stop now.

I agree.  Keep all guns as much as possible, not just the most deadly, out of the hands of criminals or nut cases.  And motor vehicles out of the hands of drunken drivers.