Interesting question: Should Value Investors Change their Style?

indythinker85

http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/10/should-value-investors-change-their-style-tom-russo-vs-mohnish-pabrai/ I would add that although Pabrai had awful 08, Russo had a bad 08 as well.

Something doesn't jive with me on the article...

This line in particular when the author is contrasting their styles:

"Diversification in the portfolio is a key to Pabrai’s strategy."

If anything Pabrai has a concentrated strategy and Russo has much more diversification and holds many more positions.

The author has a much different definition of diversification than I do.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2012/10/should-value-investors-change-their-style-tom-russo-vs-mohnish-pabrai/ I would add that although Pabrai had awful 08, Russo had a bad 08 as well.

If anything Pabrai has a concentrated strategy and Russo has much more diversification and holds many more positions.

Not quite, after the  08 crisis, Pabrai publicly commented that concentrated holdings was a mistake and he'd run a diversified strategy in the future.

Not quite, after the  08 crisis, Pabrai publicly commented that concentrated holdings was a mistake and he'd run a diversified strategy in the future.

Yea, but it was still more concentrated than most I believe with a 2% 5% 10% sizing which would result in less holdings than Russo imo.  Also, he's since gone back to the 10x10 concentrated size.

Guest rimm_never_sleeps

diversification for pabrai is holding 15 stocks instead of 8.

God this article was awful.  It had it all.  No direction, incorrect facts, inconsistencies, etc.  Here is a great line.  "He [Pabrai] agrees with Charlie Munger that a diversified portfolio can be achieved with just four different stocks, but he thinks that is nowhere near enough."  I get it.  According to the author, he agrees with it even though he thinks its not even close.  I always like someone who can act at the same time on both sides of an issue.  Shows flexibility I guess.

God this article was awful.  It had it all.  No direction, incorrect facts, inconsistencies, etc.  Here is a great line.  "He [Pabrai] agrees with Charlie Munger that a diversified portfolio can be achieved with just four different stocks, but he thinks that is nowhere near enough."  I get it.  According to the author, he agrees with it even though he thinks its not even close.  I always like someone who can act at the same time on both sides of an issue.  Shows flexibility I guess.

Found that sentence hilarious as well. Almost thought it was due to my poor English skills. :D