O/T somewhat. Pizzeria, F&B examples

meiroy

Myself and some friends are looking to open a pizzeria, or a variation of a sort. We're still in the "thinking about it" stage, yet it's quite likely to happen.

It would be very interesting to read some 10Qs and listen to conf. calls of companies which you guys consider to be good examples of "how to run a successful F&B" or examples of how not to...  Thanks for any ideas.

Skip the calls and 10-Ks…make some calls to owners of Pizzerias 15-20 miles away from where you're thinking of opening.  Ask them for advice, what worked what didn't, what would they do differently.  People love to talk about themselves, and love to give advice.  If you're not going to be a threat people will help you.  Talking to people in your area you also find out the local tips and tricks you'll never find online.  People's tastes are different by area, buying habits, all sorts of weird oddities. 

I have a good friend who was a part owner of one.  They did brick oven pizza.  They had an old coal mine where they turned the shaft into an oven, cooked pizza, paninis in there etc.  It was profitable, just VERY long hours.  There's a special oven you can buy that does a brick oven style toasting quickly.  He's convinced we could open an outlet for $10k and just sell brick oven pizzas for delivery.  Pizza is very profitable, if I remember he said the total cost for a pizza was $1.25 or so, they sold them for $10-15. Your biggest cost is going to be labor.  Most owners end up working at the shop to reduce labor costs, be prepared for this. 

Of course with pizza there is a lot of competition so you need something to stand out.  Making it differently, or different toppings, some sort of angle.  The brick oven is how my buddy's place did it.

Small business is great, you can get returns on your human capital that are impossible in the market, best of luck, sounds fun!

oddballstocks,,

Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestion; unfortunately I'm pretty sure that is not going to work where I'm at, for sure it will be perceived as a threat, I did go and eat at some places to see what they sell...  Yes, agree about the possible high profit margin for a pizzeria which is why we're looking at it and not a restaurant and it does seem to be much simpler to operate, the oven has already been chosen (first thing to choose when it comes down to it) and there is indeed some element of differentiation which could be easily copied like anything else. Thanks again.