Dr. Michael J. Burry UCLA Economics Commencement Speech 2012

Thanks for posting.

It seems he's predicting another recession over the next 7 years or so. I suppose that's pretty typical though, isn't it?

Great speech was it not? It's rare that I feel this way but sometimes I feel like my admiration for Burry is greater than my ability to describe it, he's just such an inspiration on so many different levels. So few can put things into perspective and illuminate issues and what's at stake like he can, and out of those who can, even fewer are willing to speak those truths or possess the requisite courage required to challenge power and even his heroes like Buffett regardless of the personal consequences. The guy just fires me up.

Great speech was it not? It's rare that I feel this way but sometimes I feel like my admiration for Burry is greater than my ability to describe it, he's just such an inspiration on so many different levels. So few can put things into perspective and illuminate issues and what's at stake like he can, and out of those who can, even fewer are willing to speak those truths or possess the requisite courage required to challenge power and even his heroes like Buffett regardless of the personal consequences. The guy just fires me up.

+1

Does anyone know what he's actually investing in these days?  I know he gets publicity for some of the macro calls but from what I understood he was a value guy at heart. 

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if he was lurking around here.  He seemed to really like the message board format of Silicon Investor, it seems strange someone who was really active in that would just go cold turkey. 

Thanks for posting the video.

As a non-establishment (no NYC BB/large fund experience) value investor and someone w/ Asperger’s I find Mike Burry’s story truly inspirational.  Greenblatt talks about his ability to understand context and ‘what’s important’ as his competitive advantage.  Reading some of the 06/07/08 Scion Letters its incredible how lucidly Burry writes about the context in which he frames his investments (subprime/oil/credit cycle/etc).  Even more incredible was his ability to understand the duration issues related to subprime.  I do not short because I am uncomfortable with any situation where you can be 100% correct on the thesis and be wiped out due to timing.  I consider Burry’s genius his understanding of subprime to the level of knowing when it would play out AND seeing it through despite massive external forces (LPs including Greenblatt).  I would/do not have the balls to put on such a trade.

With that said listening to the UCLA speech I kept thinking of Roubini and all the other perma bears.  I don’t think you need to be Ray Dalio to realize that we are perpetually on the verge of the s*@# hitting the fan.  Theres so much in the world that is unsustainable that at some point it will hit the fan, its just extremely difficult to know when.  I just wish Burry (and everyone else) would drop the macro and go back to posting sick stock ideas on VIC/valuestocks.net 

• 1 month later...

I just had the first time the opportunity to watch the video. I was shocked to hear that after he wrote some truthful article about the financial crises titled "I Saw the Crisis Coming. Why Didn’t the Fed?" in 2010,... that the Washington political establishment did scrutinize him,... they did send the FBI, SEC, and auditors to look into all his office files. (watch the video at minute 14). He had over $1 million of legal and accounting costs only because he asked questions and they got jealous. I remember didn't such a thing once also happen to Mohnish in his earlier years that he was scrutinized by some jealous people.

I just retread this famous article,... very interesting:

April 4, 2010

I Saw the Crisis Coming. Why Didn’t the Fed?

By MICHAEL J. BURRY -- Cupertino, Calif.

http://investinginknowledge.com/info/category/berkshirehathaway/

I just had the first time the opportunity to watch the video. I was shocked to hear that after he wrote some truthful article about the financial crises titled "I Saw the Crisis Coming. Why Didn’t the Fed?" in 2010,... that the Washington political establishment did scrutinize him,... they did send the FBI, SEC, and auditors to look into all his office files. (watch the video at minute 14). He had over $1 million of legal and accounting costs only because he asked questions and they got jealous. I remember didn't such a thing once also happen to Mohnish in his earlier years that he was scrutinized by some jealous people.

I just retread this famous article,... very interesting:

April 4, 2010

I Saw the Crisis Coming. Why Didn’t the Fed?

By MICHAEL J. BURRY -- Cupertino, Calif.

http://investinginknowledge.com/info/category/berkshirehathaway/

What happened to Mohnish?