Company specific news?

hardincap

Anyone share the pain of needing a good way of getting news for specific stocks? E.g. If you're in a hurry and want to get a quick update on companies you follow, where do you get news from? I current use yahoo finance but wish there were some better way than to load yahoo finance X times for each company.

the iPhone app for stocks makes the yahoo financial news easier to read.  Unfortunately, the google portfolio news still isn't that great...

I wonder if there is a way to set up an RSS feed for each stock in yahoo finance and/or a google alert RSS feed, similarly.  I bet that is doable.

It's not perfect, but you can use a combination of Google News and Google Reader to create and display company specific Google News headlines in Reader as an RSS stream.

For example, you could paste this link: http://www.google.com/finance/company_news?q=NYSE:BRK.B&output=rss into the Google Reader feed subscription field and it will populate Reader with the news stream for Berkshire.  It's not not perfect, because I see some sources don't always make it into my company specific news streams and you'll get even passing references to BRK, but it's good for basic real-time news updates.

I use a combination of Google alerts and Google reader which you can input SEC RSS feeds into for any US company.

I'm also using getprismatic.com for financial news (among 100+ other things).  You can also add specific search terms there too, even if they don't have specific topics.  But alerts is probably the most valuable one for scouring the entire web for news.

my biggest complaint about the sources I use for news (yahoo finance, capital iq) is that news stories are put in chronological order with no priority given to more important/"trending" stories.  This seems like a common algorithm used in other areas (ie, facebook), and bloomberg uses this to keep hot stories at the top for a while, but every other financial source seems terrible with this.

It is really bad when you have a watchlist that includes largecap names.  You get a sh*tload of garbage news stories in yahoo finance every day for largecap names that have 0 relevancy. 

For instance, the top 3 stories for BRK-B @ yahoo finance right now are:

How Buffett Invests Like a Tigerat Motley Fool(Mon 2:50PM EDT)

5 Stocks to Buy Before Facebookat Motley Fool(Mon 1:11PM EDT)

Annual Warren Buffett lunch auction begins SundayAP(Sun, Jun 3)

The top 3 stories for XOM are:

BP Is Stupid Cheap, And I Continue To Back Up The Truck!at Seeking Alpha(Mon 4:55PM EDT)

Chevron and Ecuador Drop the Gloves in Canadaat Motley Fool(Mon 3:52PM EDT)

The Ongoing Hunt for Valueat CNBC(Mon 3:45PM EDT)

With garbage like this, it is difficult to filter what is important and what is not.