Quality of Earnings - Thornton L. O'glove

Liberty

[amazonsearch]Quality of Earnings[/amazonsearch]

Anyone has read this one? would you recommend it?

In confidence Game, Bill Ackman sends a box of books to someone else, and out of the 5, I have read 4. This is the fifth one, so I'm thinking of getting it.

(...) It was from Ackman and filled with books: Graham and Dodd’s Security Analysis, Peter Lynch’s One Up on Wall Street, Benjamin Graham’s Intelligent Investor, Lawrence Cunningham’s The Essays of Warren Buffett, and Thornton O’glove’s Quality of Earnings.

Richard, Christine S. (2010). Confidence Game: How Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street's Bluff (Bloomberg) (p. 110). Bloomberg Press. Kindle Edition.

Thanks AZ and Liberty.  I have read the other four as well, maybe Quality of Earnings is worth adding to the library.  It's funny that Amazon just sent me an email recommending this book based on my previous purchases.  I will make sure to post once I have purchased and read this one.

[amazonsearch]Quality of Earnings[/amazonsearch]

Anyone has read this one? would you recommend it?

In confidence Game, Bill Ackman sends a box of books to someone else, and out of the 5, I have read 4. This is the fifth one, so I'm thinking of getting it.

It is a good book

• 4 years later...

Just finished reading this book and I have to say it left me little disappointed. I guess I was expecting more out of it, but feel like it didn't really offer much.

I felt like that too. I think a book like this get so much attention and is pumped by people as such a great book, it's almost a letdown because you have such high expectations before even opening it.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, reading books like Quality of Earnings is as much about figuring out what struck Ackman and others to recommend the book to those who work for their firm.  Many newer books have similar ways to assess earnings quality.  CFA  Institute published a good monolith on the topic and other PDFs are easy to find that do a good job on the topic.  My favorite book is Martin Fridson's Financial Statement Analysis; A Practicioner's Guide.  It is certainly more thorough than QoE but it wasn't 'the first' book on the subject.  Even books like What's Behind the Numbers are interesting to read for their case studies, even if they are geared more towards the masses and less toward the analyst.  In any event, QoE resonates with investors because it provided actionable ways to assess liberal revenue recognition policies and taken as a whole, provides a framework for thinking about not only earnings quality, but reporting quality as well.  For this alone, I would recommend QoE without reservation.