Newsletters for the amateur?

prunes

I am reading some of the free material published by Grants over the past few years and I love it. I would like to subscribe but it's cost--nearly $1,000 per year--puts it outside of what I can afford. I also have seen some of the material in OID and think it is a high quality publication as well. At $300, this is more affordable, but it doesn't seem to be very active these days. Are any of these newsletters actually worth subscribing to an amateur? Will he amount and quality of the ideas outweigh the cost? What do you subscribe to?

I dont subscribe to anything. I rely on this board, and interviews which are typically aggregated by this board, gurufocus, and Wealth track. Most of these guys including Grant are interviewed quite regularly.

If you are really interested you could probably access these via the library or university.

Newsletters as an amateur are bad ideas, you should not want ideas to be spoon fed to you, you should actively seek to improve your own knowledge and process when it comes to investing so that you can generate and evaluate ideas on your own.

You're much better off spending the money that you would spend on a newsletter on some excel financial modeling courses.

Guest HarryLong

A lot of people right really pretty reports/articles. Fewer people have ideas that make money.

Correct divergent opinion is the most valuable, since if it is correct and divergent to consensus, the instrument, theme, investment, relationships, etc is mispriced,

That's why I do pretty well on the board vs. certain other people on the board who are great writers. It's not enough to merely be right. The best money-making ideas are hated by the majority until proven correct. Just check out the netflix thread for an example of that.