FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.

twacowfca

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest cherzeca

Did I hear him right when he said there were settlement negotiations in 2015?

he didnt call them negotiations but rather conversations, and he said they went nowhere

4617(f) is pretty short. Am i in the right place?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/12/4617

(f) Limitation on court action

Except as provided in this section or at the request of the Director, no court may take any action to restrain or affect the exercise of powers or functions of the Agency as a conservator or a receiver.

My answer would be that the FHFH isnt acting like a conservator........Mel said that the other day.

Edit: Found this....http://seekingalpha.com/article/2578025-fannie-mae-an-analysis-of-the-cases-and-statutes-that-require-judge-lamberth-to-be-reversed-on-appeal

Not ROLG

Did I hear him right when he said there were settlement negotiations in 2015?

he didnt call them negotiations but rather conversations, and he said they went nowhere

I was surprised he even brought it up.

I thought I heard something similar. We'll have to wait for the transcript.

At 33-minute mark of the call: https://engage.vevent.com/index.jsp?eid=4711&seid=18

"In late 2015 there were settlement communications between plaintiffs and the government.  But frankly, given how deep treasury has dug in its heels and has tried to hide the truth by withholding evidence, it remains unclear to me whether treasury is capable of having an earnest conversation."

"In late 2015 there were settlement communications between plaintiffs and the government.

Sullivan twetered this Berkowitz "In late 2015 there were settlement negotiations between plaintiffs and defendants" in GSE litigation $FNMA

We hear what we want to hear...

personally, i decided to hold my breath.

I'm thinking we hear one way or another from the Delaware court in March.

The MTD is fully briefed as of yesterday and the certification application will be fully briefed by February 26. Can't imagine it will take too long to get a response.

you may be right, but sleet may want oral argument.  if so that will move the decision back a couple of months.

on a case like this, i sure would want oral arg

From Peter A. Chapman...

(1) FHFA, Fannie and Freddie (but not Treasury) are asking Judge Sleet to hear oral argument on Treasury and FHFA's motions to dismiss.  FHFA and the GSEs are not requesting oral argument on the Motions to Certify or any other matter.  A copy of the request for oral argument, filed this afternoon, is attached to this e-mail message.

(2) Messrs. Jacobs and Hindes are also asking Judge Sleet to entertain oral argument on FHFA and Treasury's motions to dismiss, and a copy of this afternoon's filing making that request is attached to this e-mail messsage.

(3) It's unanimous; everybody wants oral argument on FHFA and Treasury's Motions to Dismiss before Judge Sleet.  A copy of Treasury's request for oral argument on its motion to dismiss is attached to this e-mail message.

15-00708-0031.pdf

15-00708-0032.pdf

15-00708-0033.pdf

4617(f) is pretty short. Am i in the right place?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/12/4617

(f) Limitation on court action

Except as provided in this section or at the request of the Director, no court may take any action to restrain or affect the exercise of powers or functions of the Agency as a conservator or a receiver.

My answer would be that the FHFH isnt acting like a conservator........Mel said that the other day.

Yes, that's the right place, and while I agree with you, the court could still find that the HERA powers are so broad that there's nothing that isn't within the power of FHFA to do. (Much like in the Lamberth case.)

Late 2015...

Mr. BROWN. I will say to my colleague from New York that it does not.

That is not the effect of the language. Any number of decisions could

be made after that date, when a new Congress and a new President will

be in place. Nor does this provision have any effect on the court cases

and settlements currently underway challenging the validity of the

third amendment. As the Senator from Tennessee said yesterday, ``this

legislation does not prejudice'' any of those cases.

Today...

At 33-minute mark of the call: https://engage.vevent.com/index.jsp?eid=4711&seid=18

"In late 2015 there were settlement communications between plaintiffs and the government.  But frankly, given how deep treasury has dug in its heels and has tried to hide the truth by withholding evidence, it remains unclear to me whether treasury is capable of having an earnest conversation."

Late 2015...

Mr. BROWN. I will say to my colleague from New York that it does not.

That is not the effect of the language. Any number of decisions could

be made after that date, when a new Congress and a new President will

be in place. Nor does this provision have any effect on the court cases

and settlements currently underway challenging the validity of the

third amendment. As the Senator from Tennessee said yesterday, ``this

legislation does not prejudice'' any of those cases.

Today...

Touché Luke. Putting sh*t together. Me Likey. God my emotions swing so much.

Touché Luke. Putting sh*t together. Me Likey. God my emotions swing so much.

Read the book below if you haven't already.  Read it again if you've read it previously :-)  I read it at least once a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Behavioral-Investing-worst/dp/0470686022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456261660&sr=8-1&keywords=the+little+book+of+behavioral+investing

Guest cherzeca

@merkhet

i am of the view that the HERA anti-injunction bar applies to direct claims against fhfa, but not derivative claims, assuming the validity of the conflict of interest exemption.

do you agree?

@merkhet

i am of the view that the HERA anti-injunction bar applies to direct claims against fhfa, but not derivative claims, assuming the validity of the conflict of interest exemption.

do you agree?

I can't imagine a derivative claim against FHFA that doesn't "restrain or affect the exercise" of FHFA's powers as conservator.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statement though.

Guest cherzeca

the anti-injunction bar seems to me to preclude actions brought against fhfa, not in the name of fhfa.  other cases that have found the derivative action permitted due to conflict of interest haven't seemed to be worried by the anti-injunction bar

Guest cherzeca

put another way, direct claims have to surmount anti-inj bar, while deriv claims have to show that fhfa's stepping in shoes of shareholders doesnt bar deriv action where manifest conflict

Fannie Mae's former CFO, Tim Howard (the real one), had this to say in the comments section of his most recent blog post.

http://howardonmortgagefinance.com/2016/02/23/the-takeover-and-the-terms/

"I don’t want to start making predictions. The outcome of the various legal cases will depend on the response of the judges (or a jury), but I believe the facts in both the net worth sweep cases and the challenge to the 2008 conservatorships strongly favor the plaintiffs. It’s also possible that, seeing this, the current or the next administration could elect to change the Third Amendment or the SPSAs (including voiding the warrants)."

Immediately following the above statement, Berkowitz went on to add:

"And the fact that Treasury has sent some staffers to work next door at the White House really raises the specter that the President and his most senior advisers are being purposely misled."

I sort of like how Berkowitz is painting this in a way that Obama would be off-the-hook, still even today after all these shenanigans, if he were to go ahead and do the right thing (i.e. tell Watt to release, encourage or strong-arm Congress in a particular direction, etc.).

Are you saying Mel is taking his stance at the guidance from the Commander an Chief himself? Thats the reason for his sudden change of heart?

Tha'd be rich if he was. We are in an election year. Hillary is gonna need some coinage if shes gonna go up against trump come November.

Pure speculation. But fun to entertain non the less.