Anyone own a kindle?

Zorrofan

I never had the paper white, but I have received a fire and a regular kindle as gifts.  I think that I'd rather have a basic reader than the fire.  The fire has a much shorter battery life and causes more eye strain, and I actually look at the easy internet access as a disadvantage.  I'd be reading a book, and then my concentration would wander and I'd be on the internet wasting time.

I hear you about being a distraction, but I read a lot of non-fiction and I love when reading about something and being able to immediately look it up online. A lot of ebooks now contains links, so you can open a browser from within the app (such as the kindle iPad app).

I stare at a computer at work all day though, so I do worry about eye strain.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently do a lot of reading my iPad, but have been thinking about picking up either a Kindle Fire HD or a Kindle Paperwhite to mostly use for reading, as I'd think I'd like to have someone smaller than the iPad for reading (and don't want to spend the cash for the iPad mini).

Anyone on here have either the Fire or Paperwhite? I like the idea of an e-ink reader, but also ink I'd miss not being able to easily go online when reading.

Also thinking about a Nexus 7, as I could install both the kindle and nook app.

We have a Fire.  It's nice enough.  For things like books and such it's great.  It has a nice function where you can print from your computer and the document will pop up on the Fire(maybe all Kindles have that, I have no idea).  I find though that for many filings the screen is a little too small.  Since you're essentially printing as a pdf you can't expand the size of the text.  That is, you can expand the page to fill the screen, but that's it.  I have to read using it only horizontally as vertically most any kind of filing is way too small.  We use the Fire for the kids and I'm probably looking actually to get something bigger.  But if you just want to read books and stuff that you buy from Amazon and that kind of thing I think it's a good product and not terribly expensive.

I currently do a lot of reading my iPad, but have been thinking about picking up either a Kindle Fire HD or a Kindle Paperwhite to mostly use for reading, as I'd think I'd like to have someone smaller than the iPad for reading (and don't want to spend the cash for the iPad mini).

Anyone on here have either the Fire or Paperwhite? I like the idea of an e-ink reader, but also ink I'd miss not being able to easily go online when reading.

We have a Fire. 

Thanks for the info. Do you have the new Fire HD or the original one?

I had the same problem trying to read filings online with the fire.  I am waiting for someone to come out with the perfect device for reading filings and articles online.  It would be great to have something in e-ink with a large screen so that you could go straight to the sec website and read without any scrolling, panning, and zooming.  I don't know if this type of product would make any money but I would certainly enjoy it.

We have a Fire. 

Thanks for the info. Do you have the new Fire HD or the original one?

Sure.  I think it's just the original one.  It's a good device for what it is.  It's just too small (in my opinion) for filings.