Buffett Rules Out Double-Dip U.S. Recession

Charlie

I purposefully omitted his insurance operations because I wasn't as clear on how the insurance operations might give him insight into the broader macroeconomic picture.

Let's try not to turn this into a discussion about/criticism of Buffett over Level 3!  I don't anything about the company other than that some people have lost a lot of money following Buffett/SAM/FFH into it.

I purposefully omitted his insurance operations because I wasn't as clear on how the insurance operations might give him insight into the broader macroeconomic picture.

Let's try not to turn this into a discussion about/criticism of Buffett over Level 3!  I don't anything about the company other than that some people have lost a lot of money following Buffett/SAM/FFH into it.

If you read WEB's statement about LVLT, please note what he didn't say.  He didn't say they have a great business or even a good business.  He says they have trustworthy managers, financial resources and liquidity.  I don't think he bought their stock directly, but other financial instruments.

ps. Thanks, Value Carl, for providing WEB's statement.

If investors are anchored, irrespective of whether or not they have missed any "turns," they have good reason for remaining steadfast in their beliefs considering all the criminal manipulations and machinations which continue unfettered at home and abroad, most importantly, at the central banking levels tied directly to their politics

ValueCarl - which indicators do you follow and what are your investments today? It seems there is an opportunity for everyone to learn from you!

Let's try not to turn this into a discussion about/criticism of Buffett over Level 3!  I don't anything about the company other than that some people have lost a lot of money following Buffett/SAM/FFH into it.

If you read WEB's statement about LVLT, please note what he didn't say.  He didn't say they have a great business or even a good business.  He says they have trustworthy managers, financial resources and liquidity.  I don't think he bought their stock directly, but other financial instruments.

ps. Thanks, Value Carl, for providing WEB's statement.

Yep, Buffett bought Level 3 bonds:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_28/b3740105.htm

He tends to do this whenever a company is facing financial distress. In the 1980s he did a load of convertible deals, then in the recent financial crisis he did those 10% preferred deals. To me, it is pretty interesting that he will always go after these sorts of deals rather than buy the beaten down equity.

Omagh,

I don't believe either of them have as well. But I do find it interesting that the diverse business lines held by BRK are giving WEB such a positive indicator that he can declare that there will be no double dip while the ERCI WLI which is supposed to monitor the economy is so negative.

cheers

Zorro

quote author=omagh " data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2935" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" 25493#msg25493 data-ipsquote-timestamp=1284424500]

I pay a fair amount of attention to the few public comments that Buffett makes.  His rational comments are like a value investor's beacon while things like ECRI indicators are noise.  Sorry Zorro, but I don't think that I've ever heard Buffett or Klarman talk about the ECRI indicator.

-O

Guest ValueCarl

GOLDmen who avoid SILVER like the PLAGUE compared to those at The House that Morgan Built, and gleefully pay Buffett $15 per second, seem to be somewhat at ODDS with The Oracle. Of course, when they figure out how to make The Oracle pay them $15 per second, their OPINION might carry more weight. 

This is quite an unusual "CLUB" Mr. Buffett is a member of. I notice the FAKE MUNGER has disappeared without commenting on the value of Martin Armstrong's "perspective." 

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2010/09/14/goldman-fed-may-announce-new-asset-buys-in-november/