I just lost another reason to go to Sears.

I just saw an ACE Hardware commercial, where you can now buy Craftsman tools. Now, I doubt I will ever go to Sears, unless I just happen to walk through it in the mall or am buying a Kenmore appliance. As a result of buying Craftsman tools in the past, I have spent money on other stuff in the store, that I would normally have gone to different stores for (Macy's and Best Buy come to mind)

Certainly, I am sure that Lampert thought out this move, but, I don't get it; I would have understood a partnership with Home Depot, since they are HUGE in comparison to ACE; plus, I have always thought that ACE is an inferior store to Home Depot/Lowe's. I will add in that I don't think this will be make or break for the company, but is an interesting thing to think about. On the flip side, Stihl has made a great business out of selling chainsaws and other gas powered lawn tools through places such as ACE, who also service the product.

Guest longinvestor

.................I have always thought that ACE is an inferior store to Home Depot/Lowe's. I will add in that I don't think this will be make or break for the company, but is an interesting thing to think about.............. On the flip side, Stihl has made a great business out of selling chainsaws and other gas powered lawn tools through places such as ACE, who also service the product.

I used to work for the powertool industry in the 90's and for branded powertool companies, selling thru HD/Lowe's, esp HD was the proverbial "kiss of death" when it comes to branding & differentiation which then lead to price erosion. Not complaining about competitiveness but just stating the fact from the producers' POV.  If Stihl made it good thru ACE, more power to them!

I just saw an ACE Hardware commercial, where you can now buy Craftsman tools. Now, I doubt I will ever go to Sears, unless I just happen to walk through it in the mall or am buying a Kenmore appliance. As a result of buying Craftsman tools in the past, I have spent money on other stuff in the store, that I would normally have gone to different stores for (Macy's and Best Buy come to mind)

Certainly, I am sure that Lampert thought out this move, but, I don't get it; I would have understood a partnership with Home Depot, since they are HUGE in comparison to ACE; plus, I have always thought that ACE is an inferior store to Home Depot/Lowe's. I will add in that I don't think this will be make or break for the company, but is an interesting thing to think about. On the flip side, Stihl has made a great business out of selling chainsaws and other gas powered lawn tools through places such as ACE, who also service the product.

Ace is the place where the helpful hardware man doesn't beat his suppliers down on their prices as much as Home Depot and Lowes do.

Does anyone have an idea about why Lampert just took a huge distribution of shares of SHLD and other holdings of his fund?

Does anyone have an idea about why Lampert just took a huge distribution of shares of SHLD and other holdings of his fund?

Very curious.  Some filings by Autozone have a little more detail.  Once again, this involves distributing shares (SHLD and AZO) to Lampert and William Crowley.  AZO filings include lock-up agreements for Lampert and Crowley's holdings of AZO.  Something curious is going on with ESL/Lampert and Crowley.  Perhaps Crowley is cashing out?  Or, could this be the first steps to closing up the partnerships and letting Lampert own/run SHLD and AZO directly?

Coincidentally, I saw a bit from PRnewswire:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/to-all-owners-of-sears-holdings-corporation-common-stock-95607739.html

that noted that Crowley is resigning as an executive officer of SHLD.  Related?

Something's up.

it might be Crowleys' share of the fund? maybe there is a falling out here....

The distributions are to both Lampert and Crowley, so it's hard to say.  It will be interesting to see how big the follow-on distributions are in July.  Perhaps they're the only partners with sufficient ownership to have to report the distributions formally? 

In my imagination, Lampert is winding down the partnerships to focus solely on running SHLD (and to a lesser extent AN and AZO).  And, (still wildly speculating) by the end of the year there will be a merger of SHLD and AZO announced.

it might be Crowleys' share of the fund? maybe there is a falling out here....

The distributions are to both Lampert and Crowley, so it's hard to say.  It will be interesting to see how big the follow-on distributions are in July.  Perhaps they're the only partners with sufficient ownership to have to report the distributions formally? 

In my imagination, Lampert is winding down the partnerships to focus solely on running SHLD (and to a lesser extent AN and AZO).  And, (still wildly speculating) by the end of the year there will be a merger of SHLD and AZO announced.

A merger would be interesting.  AZO is a great operation.  Had a great experience at a local autozone Easter Sunday.  Out of town relative had a car breakdown and autozone was the only parts place open.  They diagnosed the problem (bad alternator) supplied the correct part and called a freelance mechanic who came right over on his day off and made the repair for $100 plus the cost of the part.  Our relatives were able to return to their home in another state after only a two hour delay.  :)

AZO's cash flow might be enough to tide SHLD over for a few years until the RE market recovers enough for their RE to be sold with ( how much ) value left for shareholders.  Comments?