Berkshire Hathaway Analysis/Valuation 2010

mpauls

I've been dragging my feet, but will be finalizing this years valuation by the end of the week.  If there's anything you guys want specifically addressed, now's the time to mention it.  To the extent that any of you would like to publish or otherwise offer it, provide desired format. 

Cheers,

mpauls

i'm always up for a fresh take on brk. its only a token holding of mine these days, so i dont do spreadsheets of my own on it any more.

will be interested to see any pro-forma analysis of the impact of brk's acquisition of bni if your current analysis includes that.

I'm interested in your projections about future capital expenditures in the operating companies. Is Berkshire really becoming an operating company with an increasingly less important investment department, or does BNI merely represent a 5-7 year capex obligation, followed by unencumbered cash flows requiring really smart investors at the helm?

I would like to understand better why utilities/BNI are such a good investment for Berkshire (beyond the standard argument of zero cost float generating a fair return). Specifically what type of return on capital are they currently generating and what they are expected to generate in the future. For example, I don't understand why Buffett has not loaded up on stuff like KO, WFC and in stead opted to buy another utility (BNI). The stated reason of course is that he likes BNI because it can use capital that insurance sub generates.