Biggest Investment Mistakes & Lessons Learned

Malmqky

On 7/13/2023 at 4:06 PM, Malmqky said:

I’ll start off with a recent one that that is rather far up on my all time list of mess ups..

1) Bought Meta at $300ish in Nov. 2021 and exited the position in Oct. 2023. Complete amateur hour. My biggest take away, or more so reminder from this, is to invert everything - something looking back I failed to do. I would like to say this would have played out differently if I had. Zuck didn’t randomly lose his mind after running the company quite well for a decade. Young people use Instagram and old people use Facebook, and they fill different niches of social media than TikTok does (before rees at least). Etc. Etc. Also, good reminder that when it comes to tech, things can change really fast.

Let me look at my notes from over the years and I’ll find something with bit a more insight and value to share.

At $300 I knew that their metaverse strategy was a cash incinerating failure and the company suffered from a distinct lack of ethical leadership.

At under $100 I forgot that those problems now mattered far less. That was a far bigger sin than my prior virtue. 

I comfort myself in the knowledge I would have sold it at $150.

Edited by ValueArb