Domino's Pizza

KFRCanuk

Anyone following Domino's Pizza?

I find two things interesting in the recent past.

1) There was a youtube video of employees doing disgusting things to the ingredients. see http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/2009/04/dominos_pizza_y.html for more info. The company dealt with the issue immediately and used social networking to get the word out.

2) They have overhauled their pizza recipe in all their locations in the USA.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2009-12-16-dominos16_ST_N.htm

It could be all marketing saying that their old product was crap but it will be interesting to see if there  is a turn around story there.

I can't remember if DPZ was discussed on the old board ir not.

• 4 years later...

There is a separate thread discussing what will make owners rich over the next twenty years.  In my opinion, delivery pizza will still be going strong in 20 years and the economics for the franchise owner are incredible.  People in the west may be becoming more health conscious, but this is more than offset by desire for convenience and the tailwind of emerging markets.  Dominos seems to be emerging as the global winner.

I am investigating Jubilant Foods (india), Taste Holdings (South Africa), DP Poland.  These are all sub franchisees who are developing the brand in their countries.  I would be interested to know if anyone else has thought about these kinds of businesses.  Alternatively, you can buy the US entity which is the master franchiser.  They get a payment every time a Dominos Pizza is sold, anywhere in the world.

Has anyone else thought about this business?  To anyone who says it is expensive, I would say that it has most of the traits of the "perfect" business, and if you do your due diligence, this is a stock that can pay for your retirement in decades to come.