Shocking state of law schools, when will ABA act?

DTEJD1997

Hey all:

My apologies for not backing up some of my opinions with facts...here is one:

ABA standard 501(b) “a school shall not admit an applicant who does not appear capable of satisfactorily completing its program of legal education and being admitted to the bar.”

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/publications/misc/legal_education/Standards/2014_2015_aba_standards_chapter5.authcheckdam.pdf

If a skool has a bar passage rate of the vicinity of 50%, or even lower...I would argue this is a violation of ABA standard 501.  Remember, a group of 100 students who START law school, will not finish...some will drop out and some will be ejected...

Mistakes happen, I get that.  A one time catastrophe of failing students is one thing...several years of that is quite another...

If the ABA is not going to enforce their standards, what is the point of even having them?

Because that's how bullshit works. Don't you know?

Free markets don't work well when they are primarily based on OPM (Other people's money). As far as I know every single service/product market which is dominated either by insurance or by loan financing is fucked up in some way. Examples are education, housing, medicare, car repair. In all these markets you find that prices don't make sense, massive information asymmetries, dumb consumers, shady producers.

But I don't really see how any of these products/services are more complicated and difficult to understand than other products and services where markets appear to function more rationally like for instance consumer electronics, automobiles etc. Does anyone really understand how an iphone works? Or their car?

Lee Quan Yew has an anecdote about observing people who would get diagnosed with an infection at NHS hospitals, take a partial course of anti-biotics and then stop taking them. Finally they would go to a private hospital and pay for anti-biotics and then take the full course and be cured. People, for whatever reason, are more careful about things they pay for than things they don't pay for.

Free markets don't work well when they are primarily based on OPM (Other people's money). As far as I know every single service/product market which is dominated either by insurance or by loan financing is fucked up in some way. Examples are education, housing, medicare, car repair. In all these markets you find that prices don't make sense, massive information asymmetries, dumb consumers, shady producers.

But I don't really see how any of these products/services are more complicated and difficult to understand than other products and services where markets appear to function more rationally like for instance consumer electronics, automobiles etc. Does anyone really understand how an iphone works? Or their car?

Can I ask why you include car repairs in this list?  As you talking about damages say being in a car wreck vs going to your local shop for an oil change, air filter etc.  People absolutely shop in this market, especially the lower end. 

The problem in many of these markets is a typical chicken/egg dilemna.  Does insurance play a role because of the information asymetry so consumers reach out to a middleman which in theory should do a better job of protecting their interests in teh long term. 

It interesting that you bring up the Iphone.  Does the average consumer have any idea of what in Iphone really costs?  In the US its bundled into the service.  Groups like T-Mobile and others have attempted to break that up but I've seen scant evidence it works.