Has anyone else had it with IB?

matjone

Sounds like you had a PITA IRA issue.  IB isn't perfect but I really like them. 

Super low fees, transparent fees and for me generally good execution.  Customer service has generally been fine.

The fee savings can be a lot both on commissions and hidden fees. 

As a general rule - if you are on the phone with a customer service idiot call back and get someone good.  This applies for any organization.

I like them having tough margin requirements because that make for a more conservative financial institution.  IB could be more conservative in margin IMO.

The problem is when you're on hold and can't get to anyone at all for 15-30 mins

4. The low margin ability of many stocks is a bit annoying. Also weird that OTC equivalents of stocks are non-marginable. For example I probably should not have bought ATUSF but bough ALS.TO directly instead (30% margin req for Toronto versus 100% for the OTC).

You can ask IB to convert the foreign ordinary (ATUSF) to the Canadian ticker. They will charge you $10 I think.

4. The low margin ability of many stocks is a bit annoying. Also weird that OTC equivalents of stocks are non-marginable. For example I probably should not have bought ATUSF but bough ALS.TO directly instead (30% margin req for Toronto versus 100% for the OTC).

You can ask IB to convert the foreign ordinary (ATUSF) to the Canadian ticker. They will charge you $10 I think.

Thanks for suggesting it. I remember contacting them at the time to confirm it was the same stock (same cusip) and they confirmed. I thought they told me it's convertible but at a fee way above $10 (like at least $100). But I can easily have recalled that wrong so I'll contact them and ask again. Thanks!

Sounds like you had a PITA IRA issue.  IB isn't perfect but I really like them. 

Super low fees, transparent fees and for me generally good execution.  Customer service has generally been fine.

The fee savings can be a lot both on commissions and hidden fees. 

As a general rule - if you are on the phone with a customer service idiot call back and get someone good.  This applies for any organization.

I like them having tough margin requirements because that make for a more conservative financial institution.  IB could be more conservative in margin IMO.

The problem is when you're on hold and can't get to anyone at all for 15-30 mins

I have the same issue. Their customer services  were very responsive about two years ago (almost no waiting). Now the waiting is almost unbearable. Ameritrade is way better in customer service.

For larger accounts there is a prime desk - they answer two rings every time - I mean every time - if you can get off the 800 number and on the prime desk - it is a different experience.  No idea what the limits are etc.

This is different than their proserve number?  How'd you get the number?

Thanks for suggesting it. I remember contacting them at the time to confirm it was the same stock (same cusip) and they confirmed. I thought they told me it's convertible but at a fee way above $10 (like at least $100). But I can easily have recalled that wrong so I'll contact them and ask again. Thanks!

So, I contacted IB and they could indeed arrange this for a $10 fee. Thanks for the tip! This is hwere the story stops being successful though:

When requesting the conversion I told them I did it so my position would be eligible for margin and pointed them to this link https://gdcdyn.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?key=als&cntry=canada&tag=Canada&ib_entity=llc&ln=&f=5168&ns=T showing Altius has a margin requirement of 33%. After the conversion my margin didn't increase so I asked about it and apparently Altius' market cap is too low (needs to be above 500M USD).

I don't know why the other link specifies a margin requirement of 33%. Asking them about it now.

They are cheap but it seems you get what you pay for.  This conversion process is ridiculously over-complicated and will end up costing me thousands in extra taxes if it doesn't get done in time.  Doing this conversion should be a simple process of clicking a few buttons and an e-signature, or maybe mailing in a form.  That's how it was when I did it before at Vanguard.  This is a multi-step process and each step involves days of waiting between steps.  BTW, after my initial post I checked some of the changes the guy recommended.  For one of them there is no box available to check to make the recommended change.  So now I fear that even after jumping through all of these hoops there is still going to be a snag that stops this from getting done.

So I am currently in the market for a new broker.  I'm looking for one with access to foreign markets and pink sheet stocks.  The second criteria is getting tougher to meet these days as a lot of brokers have apparently decided they don't want to be involved in that market.  If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

If you are US-based, look into Fidelity. They have about the same foreign markets as IB and I've never had any issue with pink sheets or otc stocks.

Just tried to buy a pink sheet stock that went dark at Fidelity and was told that I couldn't.  Not sure if it is a name by name thing or all companies that went dark.