Walmart

Guest swf83

Guest kawikaho

Wow, this thread totally turned into a sh*! show.  I have worked at a WMT when I was 19 many years ago.  I remember at the time one of the district managers saying we could participate in the employee stock purchase plan, and how he has done very well with his stock.  It's too bad I was too young to participate in any significant way.  I also remember how WMT was the death of some local retailers that couldn't compete with the big mainland retailers.  But, that's not just WMT's fault.  Nowadays, all you see are big name retailers: Gamestop, HD, Best Buy, WMT, TGT, etc...  I also remember them being very fair employers, and having great prices and selection too.  I also remember the local news stations doing stories about WMT coming in, and how they were affecting the long time small retailers.  In the end, I can only remember a couple of local retailers that went under from WMT, and to be honest, I don't even miss them!  Much rather have WMT! 

And the spiel about them being the evil empire doesn't float with me.  I haven't been in a WMT for quite some time, and mostly go where ever has the deals: Walgreens, Costco, TGT, Amazon.  So many options. 

I think WMT, along with any other mega caps, offer swing trading oppty's.  I definitely wouldn't buy and hold it forever.  And it offers a margin of safety in terms of its size, scope, and brand name.  I wouldn't be adverse to putting 100% of my net worth in WMT, but I wouldn't expect great returns either. 

Well, that's a wonderfully breathy and indignant response!  Do you lead a stressful life by any chance? :o

After further review, it would appear that I confused you for the OP, which was entirely my error.   :(

In any case, I would note that my observation about there being a lack of value in distant and uncertain ventures may be "worthless" in your opinion, but if you read through many investment fora, you will see numerous examples of people basing investments on these sorts of remote and dubious cashflows.  In your own unique, defensive manner, you have pointed out that you would never errantly attribute excessive value to these types of distant prospect, so I guess that it's of no value to you.

Inhale, exhale....

SJ

You know what . . . I apologize for my response.  It was heated, and I regret having written most of it. 

Part of the problem is that this is the only board I have ever posted on, and I am not at all used to the tone that people use sometimes when arguing or debating over a particular issue or investment idea.  I know that many times the poster doesn't mean to say something in a way that will be construed as an insult, but it still makes my blood boil when it happens.  But it's just a part of the way that communication occurs through the medium, and I'll have to get used to that, I suppose.

Again, apologies.

Guest kawikaho

Hmmm... I'm liking the pricing action going on in WMT.  Looks like it might head below 180billion in MKT cap.  Man, I can only pray and hope it hits 150!  I'd love to buy it at 150. 

Here is another reason I am buying WMT at these levels (from an article I just read):

"Over the last 10 years, earnings have more than doubled while the stock is trading at the same price. The P/E multiple has dropped under 15 for the first time in years. At some point, the stock has to track earnings growth. I think with the stability and predictability of Wal-Mart's business, this stock has a good chance to outperform from here."