Best Money Managers Looking Forward 15+ years

AzCactus

Guest longinvestor

When I meant that Buffett has shown that returns are better with a company than a fund I certainly meant earlier in his tenure, not the last ten years. 

He showed the opposite.

During the four years he ran both, he averaged 31.9% annual returns in the fund versus 18.5% with Berkshire.

During the 12 years he ran the partnership, he beat the market by 15.5% annually, versus 11.9% for the first 12 years at Berkshire Hathaway.

And those are net numbers, gross returns are even more in favor of the fund structure.

My original point is lost in all the cutting and pasting.  Beyond a certain size, fund companies attract more "nervous" capital.  The first few partners may be solid but eventually you get people who are less committed.  I have not seen a fund not get killed at exactly the wrong time, which screws the long term investors every time.  Buffett avoided this by going the company route, and giving himself more or less permanent capital.  His genius was in knowing his partnerships may eventually blow apart. 

Also, to your point.  It took awhile for the Berkshire compounding machine to get going.  The better question might be: How would the partnerships have performed into the mid 70s?  Neither Munger, nor Sequoia faired well.

Besides being prescient, the company route allowed him to get away with low expectations. No expectations really. Any expectation today is because of their track record but is solely mine, not his.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about this some more, and I realised Buffett has answered this question: Ted Weschler and Todd Combs.

Of the two, my pick is Ted Weschler because I believe his approach is easier to grasp and "Combs tends to get in and out of stocks far faster than Buffett. Weschler prefers to buy and hold a few stocks for a long time".

1. Before joining BRK, Weschler ran a fund from 2002-2011. He turned $150m into $2bn, up 1236% v 146% for Berkshire and 20% for the S&P500. 

2. I'm not aware of a time Buffett has been wrong on picking investment managers. Lou Simpson of Geico and Bill Ruane are good examples.

3. Can you imagine both the psychological pressure (to be rational and thoughtful) of Buffett being your hero and boss, and the intellectual osmosis of being around Buffett all the time (having lunch once a week as an example).

Guest Schwab711

I thought about this some more, and I realised Buffett has answered this question: Ted Weschler and Todd Combs.

Of the two, my pick is Ted Weschler because I believe his approach is easier to grasp and "Combs tends to get in and out of stocks far faster than Buffett. Weschler prefers to buy and hold a few stocks for a long time".

1. Before joining BRK, Weschler ran a fund from 2002-2011. He turned $150m into $2bn, up 1236% v 146% for Berkshire and 20% for the S&P500. 

2. I'm not aware of a time Buffett has been wrong on picking investment managers. Lou Simpson of Geico and Bill Ruane are good examples.

3. Can you imagine both the psychological pressure (to be rational and thoughtful) of Buffett being your hero and boss, and the intellectual osmosis of being around Buffett all the time (having lunch once a week as an example).

This is a really cool point of view, it's probably pretty close to what he thinks! I couldn't imagine trying to stay disciplined while working for anyone much less Buffett himself. The urge to 'do something' to start showing results would seem irresistible!