Maybe we could try and compile a list of great annual reports / earning calls / CEOs that really illuminate their companies and industries economics. Sort of like the company that you would want to study first when you look at an new industry for the first time. So far I have:
- JP Morgan. Jamie Dimon is a top-notch operator and great at taking on analysts in earnings calls as well. Doesn't get thrown off.
- M&T Bank. M&T Bank annual reports are a great plain spoken read for those better looking to understand banking
BOK Financial offers full service banking in Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Northwest Arkansas, Colorado, Arizona and Kansas/Missouri.
- Seabord Corporation. Agribusiness and transportation company.
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Middleby Corp. Design, manufacture and sale of commercial foodservice, food processing equipment and residential kitchen equipment
- Consumer Staples
- Post Holdings. Breakfast Cereals
- Interactive Brokers. Lowest commission online broker.
- Morningstar. Provider of independent investment research.
- FactSet. Provider of integrated financial information and analytical applications to the global investment community
- Verisk. Provider of information about risk to professionals in insurance, healthcare, financial services, Government, supply chain and risk management.
- Amerco. Do-it-yourself moving and storage operator
Manufacturing / Industrials
- Fastenal. Big supplier to a lot of industrial producers and I use them for a barometer of the industrial end market.
- Colfax. Industrial manufacturing and engineering company.
Oil & Gas
- Peyto Exploration & Development Corp. The CEO's updates deliver some of the best insights into what's going on in the Canadian tar sands.
- Howard Hughes is a developer of master planned communities and mixed use properties
- Casey's General Store operates convenience stores in 14 Midwestern states
- Winmark Corporation. Franchisor of five retail store concepts that that buy, sell and trade used merchandise
- MCHP is one of the few that does pass through sales, so a decent barometer of semiconductor cycle. They absolutely called the last inflection point.
- TransDigm is a designer, producer and supplier of engineered aircraft components for use on commercial and military aircraft
- Heico provides commercial aircraft replacement parts, aircraft accessories component repair and overhaul services for avionic, electro-mechanical, flight surface, hydraulic and pneumatic applications
- Rollins. Provides pest and termite control services.
- Danaher. Designs, manufactures and markets professional, medical, industrial and commercial products and services.