Super Investors / Guru Investors

Guest hellsten

Guest hellsten

If you could follow or coattail only two super investors, who would those two be? Only two, because less is more…

My choice would be:

- Bruce Berkowitz, because he has a concentrated portfolio, great research, and his picks are very contrarian in nature compared to other fund managers. He doesn't seem to care what others think of his holdings.

- Mohnish Pabrai, because he has a concentrated portfolio, is the best coattailer ever, and he has a great framework for picking and filtering stocks. He uses a checklist and filters stocks based on required return on investment.

Graham and Doddsville's list of super investors:

William Ackman

Christopher Browne

Bob Bruce

Warren Buffett

James Chanos

Columbia Business School

Leon Cooperman

Ian Cumming

Christopher Davis

David Einhorn

Jean-Marie Eveillard

Mario Gabelli

Benjamin Graham

Joel Greenblatt

Bruce Greenwald

Mason Hawkins

Seth Klarman

Howard Marks

Peter Lynch

Michael Mauboussin

Bill Miller

Charlie Munger

Bill Nygren

Mohnish Pabrai

Rich Pzena

Robert Robotti

Robert Rodriguez

Jim Rogers

Charles Royce

Ruane, Cunniff & Goldfarb

Walter & Edwin Schloss

Paul Sonkin

Guy Spier

Ken Shubin Stein

Lawrence Tisch

Arnold Van Den Berg

Prem Watsa

Marty Whitman

David Winters

Sam Zell

If you could follow or coattail only two super investors, who would those two be? Only two, because less is more…

My choice would be:

- Bruce Berkowitz, because he has a concentrated portfolio, great research, and his picks are very contrarian in nature compared to other fund managers. He doesn't seem to care what others think of his holdings.

- Mohnish Pabrai, because he has a concentrated portfolio, is the best coattailer ever, and he has a great framework for picking and filtering stocks. He uses a checklist and filters stocks based on required return on investment.

Graham and Doddsville's list of super investors:

William Ackman

Christopher Browne

Bob Bruce

Warren Buffett

James Chanos

Columbia Business School

Leon Cooperman

Ian Cumming

Christopher Davis

David Einhorn

Jean-Marie Eveillard

Mario Gabelli

Benjamin Graham

Joel Greenblatt

Bruce Greenwald

Mason Hawkins

Seth Klarman

Howard Marks

Peter Lynch

Michael Mauboussin

Bill Miller

Charlie Munger

Bill Nygren

Mohnish Pabrai

Rich Pzena

Robert Robotti

Robert Rodriguez

Jim Rogers

Charles Royce

Ruane, Cunniff & Goldfarb

Walter & Edwin Schloss

Paul Sonkin

Guy Spier

Ken Shubin Stein

Lawrence Tisch

Arnold Van Den Berg

Prem Watsa

Marty Whitman

David Winters

Sam Zell

I found it amusing that they listed themselves (Columbia Business School) on the list of super investors.  Also, a few are deceased.

I feel this is a wrong way to look at it. You should invest because you understand the investment and it makes sense to you, not because another smart person invested it. I regularly check dataroma.com but use it as a source of ideas that I can further analyze, not as a 'buy' signal. Knowing that another smart person is investing along with me may add to my level of conviction but that's about it.

But if I rephrased a question in terms of which super investor most often have investments that I understand and want to follow up on, I would probably pick Lou Simpson and Michael Larson. Although this board easily outranks them by the number of ideas that I am interested in. 

Guest hellsten

I feel this is a wrong way to look at it. You should invest because you understand the investment and it makes sense to you, not because another smart person invested it. I regularly check dataroma.com but use it as a source of ideas that I can further analyze, not as a 'buy' signal. Knowing that another smart person is investing along with me may add to my level of conviction but that's about it.

But if I rephrased a question in terms of which super investor most often have investments that I understand and want to follow up on, I would probably pick Lou Simpson and Michael Larson. Although this board easily outranks them by the number of ideas that I am interested in.

I'm not suggesting you should blindly buy what "super investors" are buying, even though I think that's one way of outperforming the market.

With follow I mean: whose 13Fs, interviews, etc do you read? To me coattailing means investing in the stocks they own or have owned, if the stock matches your philosophy and investment criteria.

Following every one of them is probably not wise. Time is limited. That's also why I phrased the question so vaguely, and why I ask stupid questions on this forum ;)

One reason I don't coattail them blindly is because I know they are fund managers and have rules I don't have that  they need to follow: sheep as co-investors, money burning holes in their pockets, committees deciding what to invest in, etc. My advantage is that I can buy things they can't buy, I don't have sheep who give me money to invest, etc, etc, etc.

Michael Burry is very difficult to follow, and even more difficult to coattail. He's almost never in the news. Last time I heard about him he was investing in farmland. I wish I could coattail him…