Li Lu/Himalaya Capital, millionaire just with students loans!

Luca

This is a story told by Mohnish Pabrai in one of his videos. Li Lu moved to the US due to China threatening him for taking part in the protests that led to the tiananmen square massacre (not really moving, he got funneled with support to survive and dont go to prison).

Then he started studying again in the US(already got a chinese degree) and during his study he used the student loan FLOAT that he had for a few months (until he had to pay it back) to invest it into the stock market. 

Apparently after finishing multiple degrees after 3 years, he was already a millionaire by that time due to returns on the short term float. 

This all was around 1990-1995, a million was quite more than it is today. 

To me this sounds unreal and to good to be true but his results obviously speak for themselves. 

As of today he has around 18b under management, around 3b we can see of US holdings (Micron, Alphabet etc you know it). 

What do you think of this story? 

Everything i read about Li Lu was very impressing to me, very private investor though and little information and talks available unfortunately.

Greetings to Li Lu and lets hope he publishes more of his wisdom!

Edited by Luca

• Luca changed the title to Li Lu/Himalaya Capital, millionaire just with students loans!

I contacted their fund a year ago, was closed and sometimes open for endowments and family offices but was possible to leave name and they might reach out. I expect huge minimum investments if one can even get in, so isnt anything for me. 

Would really love to know his returns since inception, if anybody has more detail and is allowed to share please do. 

If I remember correctly Munger has some money with Li Lu.

I recommend checking out any recordings of his lectures at Columbia you can find. You probably won't learn anything new, but you'll understand him more as a person and what he's all about.

6 minutes ago, Malmqky said:

If I remember correctly Munger has some money with Li Lu.

I recommend checking out any recordings of his lectures at Columbia you can find. You probably won't learn anything new, but you'll understand him more as a person and what he's all about.

Yes i heard that in a talk too that he has a few hundred million with himalaya. Wasnt it that Li Lu made Munger a pretty impressive return very quickly or something? I watched the one lecture released 2 years ago but should revisit, great stuff!

Edited by Luca

4 minutes ago, Luca said:

Yes i heard that in a talk too that he has a few hundred million with himalaya. Wasnt it that Li Lu made Munger a pretty impressive return very quickly or something? I watched the one lecture released 2 years ago but should revisit, great stuff!

You may being thinking of BYD, which was a Li Lu idea!

6 minutes ago, Malmqky said:

You may being thinking of BYD, which was a Li Lu idea!

I mean that munger said somewhere that his initial investment with himalaya went up a considerate amount already since the start. I dont remember where he said it but somewhere to be found, i also think he mentions the exact number.

53 minutes ago, Luca said:

Just off the top of my head I remember when he bought and sold Tenneco. Maybe 80 million and gave it to Li . He turned it into 400 million... That was from maybe the 2018/2019 djco meeting . I wish we could access what he's buying in China. Or even his letters I'd he happy with 😅

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Monsieur_dee said:

Just off the top of my head I remember when he bought and sold Tenneco. Maybe 80 million and gave it to Li . He turned it into 400 million... That was from maybe the 2018/2019 djco meeting . I wish we could access what he's buying in China. Or even his letters I'd he happy with 😅

You can see a couple of the names Himalaya owns on the HK exchange by searching -

https://di.hkex.com.hk/di/NSSrchPersonList.aspx?sa1=pl&scsd=16/06/2016&sced=16/06/2023&pn=Himalaya&src=MAIN&lang=EN&g_lang=en

Munger allows Li Lu to invest a significant amount of money on his behalf. Munger has also made comments about Li Lu 'fishing where the fish are' - in China. He seems to have gained a great advantage from this during his career. I have watched many of Li Lu's speeches and I don't recall him ever bragging. He appears very intelligent and is willing to share his insights. I'm not sure about the exact numbers and if Li Lu ever told this story by himself, but when I listen to how he works it seems like he could make pretty outstanding returns. The video below mentions +19% for his funds during the years.

I found the video below about a Timberland investment that made Li Lu 600% in 2 years and the tweet that is mentioned in the video:

33 minutes ago, competitive-advantage said:

Munger allows Li Lu to invest a significant amount of money on his behalf. Munger has also made comments about Li Lu 'fishing where the fish are' - in China. He seems to have gained a great advantage from this during his career. I have watched many of Li Lu's speeches and I don't recall him ever bragging. He appears very intelligent and is willing to share his insights. I'm not sure about the exact numbers and if Li Lu ever told this story by himself, but when I listen to how he works it seems like he could make pretty outstanding returns. The video below mentions +19% for his funds during the years.

I found the video below about a Timberland investment that made Li Lu 600% in 2 years and the tweet that is mentioned in the video:

Very nice article thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...