Pot boom

Vish_ram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live in Colorado (and was just back out there recently) and it's getting a little crazy. There are dispensaries all over the place now (and this was even before it was fully legalized). I really don't have any problem with it being legal. It's not like it's hard to get otherwise, and it's really no worse for you than alcohol (its arguable better, as it doesn't have nearly the same effect on your ability to drive). I'm just not sure how all of these places will compete with each other. Doesn't seem like they'll all be able to stay in business. There are places in Denver (such as on Broadway) where there are literally 2-3 dispensaries on the same block. It's like having 3 liquor stores on the same block.

No respectable person past college age smokes pot.

I rarely smoke these days, but I don't agree with this. That's like saying no respectable person past college drinks alcohol. I drink plenty of beer but see no real reason why alcohol should be legal while pot isn't. I think in 50 years people will look back on this era (when weed eventually becomes fully legal (obviously with the same type of restrictions as alcohol) as similar to end of Prohibition. There are a lot of countries where it's been legal for a while without any real problems.

I was in Denver on the second day of legal retail sales, and went to a few dispensaries. It's fascinating purely from a business perspective. Being there on opening week is witnessing the birth of an industry. There are rank amateur operations and there are more professional ones. Really, most of these businesses are still figuring things out. I saw a customer come back because they accidentally sold her an empty container. No business answered their phone, and some had major neighborhood smell problems (meaning I could smell weed from a block away). But so far this has been a huge success.

The customers there came from every walk of life, every age. Many people I talked to, like myself, came from out of state and planned full vacations (skiing, hiking, site seeing, shopping, and of course buying legal pot) just for this weekend.

Other states are going to be clamoring to legalize weed after they see the tax revenue that Colorado pulls in, the savings on enforcement, the increase in tourism, and the overall benefits of having a segment of society shift from recreational alcohol use to that of recreational pot use (Less addictive, no overdose or poisoning potential, less long term negative health effects, safer to drive on, etc...). California will probably be next, with Maine, Alaska, and Oregon probably joining in at some point soon. It will be a snowball effect, mark my words.

Going there made me proud of my country. We have the highest rate of encarcaration per capita in the world, and in most of the US we allow a fraction of personal freedom compared to some countries. However, the US now has a major city, and a beautiful state, where the marijuana laws are more lax than 100% of Europe. We're leading most of the world in this realm of personal freedom.

This carnage has to end! How many more have to die!

Marijuana Overdoses Kill 37 in Colorado On First Day of Legalization

"One of the those victims was 29-year-old Jesse Bruce Pinkman, a former methamphetamine dealer from Albuquerque who had recently moved to Boulder to establish a legal marijuana dispensary.

Pinkman was partying with friends when he suffered several seizures and a massive heart attack which ultimately proved to be fatal. Toxicology reports revealed that marijuana was the only drug present in his system.

"This is just a terrible tragedy," says his friend Peter. "Jesse was trying to go legit and now this happens? I guess drugs really are as dangerous as they say."

I also disagree with this assertion. While I’ve only smoked once since Sophomore Year if High School (more than 30 years ago), I know of a few folks who do. The profile of these folks is not focused…older, younger, professional, manual laborers, artsy or more concrete thinkers…it runs the gamut. As with alcohol, there are those who do it to excess and others who do not and any mind-altering chemical put into one’s body carries with it a unique set of problems/issues. While I do not partake in the smoking of pot, I’ve found it difficult to maintain my position that it should not be legalized.

The parenting aspect of this is interesting. I candidly do not want my kids (15 and 13) smoking pot OR drinking and, to the best of my knowledge, neither do. It was always easy to say “Don’t smoke pot, it’s illegal” but that parenting tool is being lost. Now it’s a matter of trying to dissuade them based on thinks like random drug testing, the cost, etc.

Parenting is hard.

-Crip

I also disagree with this assertion. While I’ve only smoked once since Sophomore Year if High School (more than 30 years ago), I know of a few folks who do. The profile of these folks is not focused…older, younger, professional, manual laborers, artsy or more concrete thinkers…it runs the gamut. As with alcohol, there are those who do it to excess and others who do not and any mind-altering chemical put into one’s body carries with it a unique set of problems/issues. While I do not partake in the smoking of pot, I’ve found it difficult to maintain my position that it should not be legalized.

The parenting aspect of this is interesting. I candidly do not want my kids (15 and 13) smoking pot OR drinking and, to the best of my knowledge, neither do. It was always easy to say “Don’t smoke pot, it’s illegal” but that parenting tool is being lost. Now it’s a matter of trying to dissuade them based on thinks like random drug testing, the cost, etc.

Parenting is hard.

I would agree with everything you said here.  I know of professionals who do it often (not on the job of course).  As far as parenting goes, I obviously don't want my children doing pot or alcohol either, but of the two, I think alcohol is much worse.  I think the largest danger of pot being illegal is that it increases drinking.

Yes parenting is hard.  Always has been, always will be, but I have no desire for "the village" to do it for me.

people in the netherlands actually smoke less pot then people in the US. For some reason when it becomes legal, it is less cool all of a sudden. And personally I get paranoid and weird most of the time when I do it now. I think people love talking about it, and doing it is actually kinda overrated.

Also think that it is not dangerous to try when your below 18. Unless you have some sort of mental illness, or other problems. Actually most people try drugs a few times, have fun with it, and then dont do it again. The risks are really overblown. Personally  I had the  most fun with it when i was 16-17. One time we got extremly baked to the point we could barely walk, and went to a movie, I ended sitting backwards in the chair, staring laughing and talking to the people behind us half the time. Never was this fun again with weed after that.

I like the concept of legalizing pot. The challenge is how do we get it off kids?

The money, untaxed that is siphoned off to columbia and other countries is halted. the illegal drug trade kills people on both side of borders, fills up our prison, cops spend time and money to control the uncontrollable. We legalize and tax it just like tobacco.

We should make it illegal so that it goes away.

Just like alcohol went away when it was illegal.

Just like we have no prostitution, because it too is illegal.

And we have no cocaine, because it is illegal.

Thank goodness meth is illegal, because boy we wouldn't want anyone using meth.

Everything is gone when it's illegal.

When I was in high school, I smoked pot several times a month.  And I drank alcohol usually every weekend.  Both were illegal, so my parents were relieved to know that I wasn't using either pot or alcohol.

Also think that it is not dangerous to try when your below 18. Unless you have some sort of mental illness, or other problems. Actually most people try drugs a few times, have fun with it, and then dont do it again. The risks are really overblown. Personally  I had the  most fun with it when i was 16-17. One time we got extremly baked to the point we could barely walk, and went to a movie, I ended sitting backwards in the chair, staring laughing and talking to the people behind us half the time. Never was this fun again with weed after that.

Actually, it is quite the contrary. It is known to be much more damageable to the brain during your teenager years, when you are still growing up. It would be much less damageable if people started only when they are adults! Anyway, I think it could be comparable to alcohol, but what I have seen is that it more often leads to more damageable paths (tougher drugs) or higher frequency consumption (but I don't have any data about this, just empirical observation with my bad own sampling!).

Actually, it is quite the contrary. It is known to be much more damageable to the brain during your teenager years, when you are still growing up. It would be much less damageable if people started only when they are adults! Anyway, I think it could be comparable to alcohol, but what I have seen is that it more often leads to more damageable paths (tougher drugs) or higher frequency consumption (but I don't have any data about this, just empirical observation with my bad own sampling!).

Right, supposedly people who smoke pot regularly as teenagers wind up with lower IQ scores as adults.  However, people who begin their pot smoking regularly as adults do not show any decline in IQ scoring.  There was an article about this in the past year -- either WSJ or NYTimes.

i don't have proof for this, but I believe that the fact that smoking pot can more easily leads to tougher drugs than alcohol is because it is illegal and that the people you would spend time with to get access to pot would be the same that have access to tougher drugs (cocaine and others).