TV Recommendations

DCG

What kind of TV do you guys have?

Im looking for a new LED LCD TV (upgrading from an older 720p 37" tv). I'm leaning toward either LG or Samsung. I don't need a smart tv, as I have an Apple TV. I'm between a LG 47", a LG 42" and a Samsung 46". Within my budget (trying to keep it under $700 U.S.) I can generally get a 42" with 120hz or a 46"/47" with 60hz (sticking to these brands). Might be able to get a used LG 47" 120hz. How much of a noticable different is there between 60hz & 120hz for a led LCD? I don't do any gaming but I watch a decent amount of sports. How noticable is the motion blur on most 60hz tvs?

Would I regret the 42" and want something bigger? Our living room is pretty small but who knows if we'll move into a bigger place in a few years.

Mine is practically invisible. In fact, it is literally invisible.

The sound quality is great because it produces stunning silence. It lets me spend time with books-- so the video quality is outstanding and program choices are near limitless. The cost is incredibly low-- in fact, it is negative. I am consistently wealthier for not watching TV.

Jokes aside, not owning a TV is one of the best [investing] decisions I have made in my life.

Mine is practically invisible. In fact, it is literally invisible.

The sound quality is great because it produces stunning silence. It lets me spend time with books-- so the video quality is outstanding and program choices are near limitless. The cost is incredibly low-- in fact, it is negative. I am consistently wealthier for not watching TV.

Jokes aside, not owning a TV is one of the best [investing] decisions I have made in my life.

I don't watch a ton of tv but like watching movies and sports.

My philosophy on TV's is always know where the TV is going in two years as the technology and picture quality is constantly getter better - not to mention lower prices.  I currently have a 55" LG LED which is two years old and the picture is fantastic - always getting unsolicited comments from third parties on the picture quality.  The TV is in the family room and replaced the 42" Plasma now in the guest room (which replaced the 32" LCD no at my in laws) In the next couple of months I will be replacing it with a 65" Samsung LED and putting the LG in the Master.  I always put the latest and great in the family room because it gets the most use.

You can't go wrong between LG and Samsung, they are both excellent brands I have owned both and never had any problems with either.  Plasmas are really getting cheap these days, however I would avoid them unless the TV is in the basement or a very dark room.  I know I sound like a salesman, but it is true that the blacks are blacker on a plasma, however they don't handle sun all that well.  That is why I being buying LED's of late.  Also, if you watch a lot of sports you may want to pay attention to the refresh rate.  I have a 120Hz and it is very good but every once in a while it doesn't keep up eg tennis, hockey slap shots...  My next TV will be 240Hz which should eliminate this.

Hope this helps.

I've got a Samsung 32" tube TV in one of my living rooms which is about 12 year old and still 4:3 aspect ratio.  And in my other living room I just replaced my other tube TV last year (which was about 25 years old, I used to have it in my bedroom when I was in high school living with my parents) with a Vizio 32" 3D HDTV.  This model I think, it doesn't look like its available anymore.  I got a cheap 3D Bluray player for it and the 3D is pretty good.  I still don't watch much TV though.

You can't go wrong with Samsung/LG for the price and i'd recommend 120hz if you plan on watching sports or any shows with fast moving pictures as 60hz might display a blurring effect.  If you are really a hardcore sports nut, then 240hz would be ideal.

I still prefer plasma's though due to the blacker black's instead of the grey found on the majority of LED backlit LCD tv's.

If you're a big TV watcher then it's probably worth spending up on something you'll enjoy.

We purchased a 40" at Costco for maybe $350, it seems nice enough.  We're not big TV watchers, many days the TV won't come on at all (for my wife and myself, kids generally watch a show a day).  The TV is good enough and didn't cost much.

If you watch a lot of movies maybe look for a surround sound system as well.  Relatives have one and watching a movie on a big TV with surround sound really adds to the experience.

Guest longinvestor

FWIW, I took a different approach to my last "screen" purchase. We had a 42" LCD television already which like others, don't use much at all. I ended up buying an "all-in-1" computer which passes off as TV for watching Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube videos. It is not as portable as a laptop / tablet but we do move it from room to room. Love it so far, especially since it is a "giant"touchscreen. While I like the touchscreen aspects of the smartphones, they are too small for me.

• 2 weeks later...