Underperforming Portfolio -- (Friendly Contest)

JEast

In the spirit of determining how potentially hard investing can be, and more importantly, to have a little fun with board member cohorts, I put forward a friendly contest.  The goal is set for a bogey of negative 10% alpha against our global benchmark of MSCI ACWI since we are a global board. 

If you care to join the party in our intellectual contest, your list must contain a portfolio of at least 10 positions (no more than 20) and for you crafters out there, the positions must be available for trading.  The list is to be presented in alphabetical order with equal weighting.  Portfolio entries accepted up until January 4th 2014.  A tally of the entries will be conducted as of November 30th 2014 to see how many contestants’ portfolios actually exceeded the MSCI ACWI just to spite us.  A portfolio from contestant #1 follows below:

Contestant #1

AMZN

ANF

AZO

BBBY

CPA

CRM

EVEP

FMD

LULU

MNST

NFLX

PHI

PNRA

STRA

UAN

WSM

6.25% Each Position

Let the games commence!

As this is primarily an intellectual exercise, one should invert caveat emptor heavily.

In the spirit of determining how potentially hard investing can be, and more importantly, to have a little fun with board member cohorts, I put forward a friendly contest.  The goal is set for a bogey of negative 10% alpha against our global benchmark of MSCI ACWI since we are a global board. 

If you care to join the party in our intellectual contest, your list must contain a portfolio of at least 10 positions (no more than 20) and for you crafters out there, the positions must be available for trading.  The list is to be presented in alphabetical order with equal weighting.  Portfolio entries accepted up until January 4th 2014.  A tally of the entries will be conducted as of November 30th 2014 to see how many contestants’ portfolios actually exceeded the MSCI ACWI just to spite us.  A portfolio from contestant #1 follows below:

Contestant #1

AMZN

ANF

AZO

BBBY

CPA

CRM

EVEP

FMD

LULU

MNST

NFLX

PHI

PNRA

STRA

UAN

WSM

6.25% Each Position

Let the games commence!

As this is primarily an intellectual exercise, one should invert caveat emptor heavily.

I'm curious JEast, why AZO?

Financials are amazing.  Not even a blip in the recession.  What do you see in AZO as a short candidate?

http://www.gurufocus.com/financials/AZO

Nobody else has GNI? Y'all aren't on your game.

Considering the ultra high borrow, didn't think it really met the spirit of the challenge.

I was under the impression that this was a contest for who could pick the worst longs, as OP never mentioned short selling. If the borrow is to be considered, a very large % of the picks submitted would have to be reconsidered. As far as I can tell, everyone who posted so far has at least one pick that either impossible, or too expensive to borrow.

CGA

FU

EBIX

CHLN

LLEN

HGSH

NQ

TTS

RVLT

JRCC

I guess choosing stocks like STPFQ would go against the spirit of this contest?  If you choose 10 bankrupt stocks (especially the ones that are the most flawed), then you will have a really good chance at being #1 because you need an extreme result to be #1.

I'll give it a go:

Veeva Systems Inc (NYSE:VEEV)

Textura Corp (NYSE:TXTR)

Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN)

salesforce.com, inc. (NYSE:CRM)

Pandora Media Inc (NYSE:P)

Herbalife Ltd. (NYSE:HLF)

Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT)

Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX:FMG)

Twitter Inc (NYSE:TWTR)

Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX)

Looks like we have fifteen (15) brave souls meeting the minimum requirements.  Brave souls that were tempted to play fate with Mr. Market.  Also looks like a few repeat names, so for you contrarians, your signal to buy plenty of calls.

Cheers

JEast